Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Unix Shell background processing Post 302457325 by Mercfh on Monday 27th of September 2010 06:40:12 PM
Old 09-27-2010
Ya I had heard about the zombie process thing, altho i'll prolly do that in my "prettying" up after im done with it all. Since im also sure using SIGCHLD is probably a decent addition, especially since i've never used it before.
Funny however I had the idea for the Switch statement just not waiting, and had it......but for some reason I thought it wouldn't work.

Last edited by Mercfh; 09-28-2010 at 06:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background for unix

Hi, I am a newbie learing Unix , I have started with teh book "the Design of the Unix OS" by Bach.After which I plan to read "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard Stevens. What is the background that one needs to learn unix. I know C. But I am not sure about my Operating Systems... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background shell script

I have a friend at work that asked me a question today and I figured I would seek help here. How does a shell script know whether it is running in the background or not? Thanks in advance for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moofasa
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

5. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to log file processing details to database table usnig UNIX shell script?

we are getting files on daily basis.we need to process these files. i need a unix shell script where we can count 1-The no of files processed 2-No of data/record processed for each files. The script should log these details into a database table. If there is any error while file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atul kumar
3 Replies
EXIT(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   EXIT(3)

NAME
exit - cause normal process termination SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void exit(int status); DESCRIPTION
The exit() function causes normal process termination and the value of status & 0377 is returned to the parent (see wait(2)). All functions registered with atexit(3) and on_exit(3) are called, in the reverse order of their registration. (It is possible for one of these functions to use atexit(3) or on_exit(3) to register an additional function to be executed during exit processing; the new registra- tion is added to the front of the list of functions that remain to be called.) If one of these functions does not return (e.g., it calls _exit(2), or kills itself with a signal), then none of the remaining functions is called, and further exit processing (in particular, flushing of stdio(3) streams) is abandoned. If a function has been registered multiple times using atexit(3) or on_exit(3), then it is called as many times as it was registered. All open stdio(3) streams are flushed and closed. Files created by tmpfile(3) are removed. The C standard specifies two constants, EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE, that may be passed to exit() to indicate successful or unsuccessful termination, respectively. RETURN VALUE
The exit() function does not return. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001, C89, C99. NOTES
It is undefined what happens if one of the functions registered using atexit(3) and on_exit(3) calls either exit() or longjmp(3). Note that a call to execve(2) removes registrations created using atexit(3) and on_exit(3). The use of EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE is slightly more portable (to non-UNIX environments) than the use of 0 and some nonzero value like 1 or -1. In particular, VMS uses a different convention. BSD has attempted to standardize exit codes; see the file <sysexits.h>. After exit(), the exit status must be transmitted to the parent process. There are three cases. If the parent has set SA_NOCLDWAIT, or has set the SIGCHLD handler to SIG_IGN, the status is discarded. If the parent was waiting on the child it is notified of the exit status. In both cases the exiting process dies immediately. If the parent has not indicated that it is not interested in the exit status, but is not waiting, the exiting process turns into a "zombie" process (which is nothing but a container for the single byte representing the exit status) so that the parent can learn the exit status when it later calls one of the wait(2) functions. If the implementation supports the SIGCHLD signal, this signal is sent to the parent. If the parent has set SA_NOCLDWAIT, it is undefined whether a SIGCHLD signal is sent. If the process is a session leader and its controlling terminal is the controlling terminal of the session, then each process in the fore- ground process group of this controlling terminal is sent a SIGHUP signal, and the terminal is disassociated from this session, allowing it to be acquired by a new controlling process. If the exit of the process causes a process group to become orphaned, and if any member of the newly orphaned process group is stopped, then a SIGHUP signal followed by a SIGCONT signal will be sent to each process in this process group. See setpgid(2) for an explanation of orphaned process groups. SEE ALSO
_exit(2), setpgid(2), wait(2), atexit(3), on_exit(3), tmpfile(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-02-14 EXIT(3)