Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check for a substring
Top Forums Programming Check for a substring Post 302457235 by Corona688 on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:56:35 PM
Old 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by faizlo
strstr() depends on making the comparison between the part of the string, substring, and the string name.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. strstr hunts for an instance of one string inside another, precisely what you want. If you want to check for two strings, call it again on the other string, and skip if either match.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a substring

This is probably pretty simple butI'm not sure how to best go about it. If I have FILE="myBigLongFileName_1.xls" FILE_PREFIX=`echo $FILE| cut -d"." -f1` # that gives "myBigLongFileName_1" All i want to do now is chop the "_1" from the end of $FILE_PREFIX Any ideas anyone? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkane
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get substring

i have a strings abc-def.csv ghi-jkl.csv i want to make it as abc-*-def.xyz ghi-*-jkl.xyz How to do it?. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilk615
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with substring

I need to check the occurrence of one string within another. code ******************** if ;then do something done ******************** Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring

Hi I use the below cmd to get the list of files that are modified than <temp> file in the <path> diretory cmd:find <path> -name '*.zip' -type f -newer <temp> -print i am getting all the list of files that are new or modified, with abs path, i want to copy all of these files to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring

I have a string '<Hi>abc</Hi>" How to print "abc" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Substring

Hi, I hav a string lets say aa.txt:bb:txt length of the string can vary.. I have to keep the token inside a array and the delimiter is : plz send me the code (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deekay.p
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the substring

Hi All, I have a ouput string likes 'u8wos' or 'u10acsd' or somthing else 'u{number}{any characters}'and I want to get the number behind the letter 'u' by bash shell. Thanks Damon (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
11 Replies

8. Programming

check substring

hi everyone I have a C program where I have a line and I want to check if the line contains a string.The line is stored in a buffer.How can I do that? Can I consider the whole line as a string and check for a substring?And if so what's the most efficient way to achieve it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlm
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring check in IF condition in shell script

I want to check if the string has the substring in IF condition then process... i tried below but not working if ]; then ............. field can be "reserved1" ....reservedn / fillspaces1 ... fillspacesn (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string contains substring surrounded by numbers

Hi, I have a process that generates strings. I would like to check each string and search for substring which contains the letter 'E' surrounded by numbers (both sides of the letter 'E'). few examples: AA4E7012A2 - contains E surrounded by numbers FE18274012 - does not contain E... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanive
3 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)