Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with explanation of awk parameters Post 302457211 by Scott on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:27:24 PM
Old 09-27-2010
Hi.

It won't remove the first blank line - it only removes duplicate lines (blank or otherwise).

To remove all blank lines, the bartus11 solution is more suited.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK explanation

Hi, Could anyone please explain why we have arr=1 - what does this statement do? awk -F\; 'FNR==NR{arr=1;next};$3 in arr' core.txt gmrd.txt Any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK deifnition and some small code explanation

Could someone give me a quick simple explanation for the AWK command. And also help me to explain the code i have made. I have made some general comments about it myself. I was wondering if people could help me with the rest: awk -F'' 'END { fmt = "%-20s\t%s\t%s\n" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - printing parameters

Hello I've got a script that takes 2 parameters. id and f. id is a user id and f is a file. I want to print this id on the first line and then the file. how can this be done? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK alias with parameters

Hello, How can I make an alias of an AWK one liner that prints specific lines from a file like below? # from a command like this: awk 'NR == 100, NR == 150' file.cfg The alias I want to make should work like this(I guess): <alias_command> <file.cfg><start_line><end_line> So the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majormark
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters using awk

Hi, The below script is working fine awk1.sh ======= awk BEGIN { FS="|" } FNR==NR { f1=$2; next } $1 in f1 && $2 =="xx" && $1 == "DAILY_JOB" {print $3} awk -f awk1.sh a.txt b.txt--Its working fine . When passing parameters its not working .Any help it should be appereciated. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for printf string in awk

hi all can any one help me to understand this bdf -t vfxs | awk '/\//{printf("%-30s%-10s%-10s%-10s%-5s%-10s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)}' i want to understand the numbers %-30S% (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk explanation

Hello, I have recently come across this awk program. Can some one shed some light on what is taking place. awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' $FILE Best Regards, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation of print statement - awk

Hi, i'm just after a simple explanation of how the following awk oneliner works. gawk -F"," '{for(i=m;i<=n;i++)printf "%s" OFS,$i; print x}' m=1 n=70 OFS=, input.csv > output.csv In particular i'm trying to understand how the two print statements work? How is the "x" variable being assigned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation of FNR in this awk script

To merge mutiple *.tab files as: file1.tab rs1 A A rs2 A A rs3 C C rs4 C Cfile2.ind rs1 T T rs2 T T rs3 G G rs4 G Gand file3.tab rs1 B B rs2 B B rs3 L L rs4 L LOutput: file1.tab file2.tab file3.tab AA TT BB AA TT BB CC GG LL CC GG ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Web Development

Apache rewrite/redirect parameters explanation

hi what is the meaning of the below code, please explain in details RewriteRule '^/(.*)$1$2/?' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghur77
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)