Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Unix Shell background processing Post 302456941 by Mercfh on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:21:34 AM
Old 09-27-2010
Oh....well crap.
Oh well I mean the parsing function works....
I checked with some extra debugging to make sure it's parsing and it is, however Im just not so sure how to do a background process, but after re-looking at my code...i can def. find the & just by cycling through the parse function again and checking for an &......

However Im still clueless as to what to do for background processing.

I tried to checkfor &...but keep getting a seg fault, i tried a for loop but it wouldnt work either. any ideas?

Last edited by Mercfh; 09-28-2010 at 06:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background for unix

Hi, I am a newbie learing Unix , I have started with teh book "the Design of the Unix OS" by Bach.After which I plan to read "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard Stevens. What is the background that one needs to learn unix. I know C. But I am not sure about my Operating Systems... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background shell script

I have a friend at work that asked me a question today and I figured I would seek help here. How does a shell script know whether it is running in the background or not? Thanks in advance for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moofasa
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

5. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to log file processing details to database table usnig UNIX shell script?

we are getting files on daily basis.we need to process these files. i need a unix shell script where we can count 1-The no of files processed 2-No of data/record processed for each files. The script should log these details into a database table. If there is any error while file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atul kumar
3 Replies
bibtex(n)							      bibtex								 bibtex(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
bibtex - Parse bibtex files SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require bibtex ?0.5? ::bibtex::parse ?options? ?text? ::bibtex::parse text ::bibtex::parse ?-command cmd? -channel chan ::bibtex::parse ?-recordcommand recordcmd? ?-preamblecommand preamblecmd? ?-stringcommand stringcmd? ?-commentcommand commentcmd? ?-progresscommand progresscmd? (text | -channel chan) ::bibtex::wait token ::bibtex::destroy token ::bibtex::addStrings token stringdict _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides commands for the parsing of bibliographies in BibTeX format. ::bibtex::parse ?options? ?text? This is the general form of the command for parsing a bibliography. Depending on the options used to invoke it it will either return a token for the parser, or the parsed entries of the input bibliography. Instead of performing an immediate parse returning a prede- fined format the command can also enter an event-based parsing style where all relevant entries in the input are reported through callback commands, in the style of SAX. ::bibtex::parse text In this form the command will assume that the specified text is a bibliography in BibTeX format, parse it, and then return a list containing one element per record found in the bibliography. Note that comments, string definitions, preambles, etc. will not show up in the result. Each element will be a list containing record type, bibliography key and record data, in this order. The record data will be a dictionary, its keys the keys of the record, with the associated values. ::bibtex::parse ?-command cmd? -channel chan In this form the command will reads the bibliography from the specified Tcl channel chan and then returns the same data structure as described above. If however the option -command is specified the result will be a handle for the parser instead and all processing will be incremen- tal and happen in the background. When the input has been exhausted the callback cmd will be invoked with the result of the parse. The exact definition for the callback is cmd token parseresult The parse result will have the structure explained above, for the simpler forms of the parser. Note that the parser will not close the channel after it has exhausted it. This is still the responsibility of the user of the parser. ::bibtex::parse ?-recordcommand recordcmd? ?-preamblecommand preamblecmd? ?-stringcommand stringcmd? ?-commentcommand commentcmd? ?-progresscommand progresscmd? (text | -channel chan) This is the most low-level form for the parser. The returned result will be a handle for the parser. During processing it will invoke the invoke the specified callback commands for each type of data found in the bibliography. The processing will be incremental and happen in the background if, and only if a Tcl channel chan is specified. For a text the pro- cessing will happen immediately and all callbacks will be invoked before the command itself returns. The callbacks, i.e. *cmd, are all command prefixes and will be invoked with additional arguments appended to them. The meaning of the arguments depends on the callback and is explained below. The first argument will however always be the handle of the parser invoking the callback. recordcmd token type key recorddict This callback is invoked whenever the parser detects a bibliography record in the input. Its arguments are the record type, the bibliography key for the record, and a dictionary containing the keys and values describing the record. Any string macros known to the parser have already been expanded. preamblecmd token preambletext This callback is invoked whenever the parser detects an @preamble block in the input. The only additional argument is the text found in the preamble block. By default such entries are ignored. stringcmd token stringdict This callback is invoked whenever the parser detects an @string-based macro definition in the input. The argument is a dic- tionary with the macro names as keys and their replacement strings as values. By default such definitions are added to the parser state for use in future bibliography records. commentcmd token commenttext This callback is invoked whenever the parser detects a comment in the input. The only additional argument is the comment text. By default such entries are ignored. progresscmd token percent This callback is invoked during processing to tell the user about the progress which has been made. Its argument is the per- centage of data processed, as integer number between 0 and 100. In the case of incremental processing the perecentage will always be -1 as the total number of entries is not known beforehand. ::bibtex::wait token This command waits for the parser represented by the token to complete and then returns. The returned result is the empty string. ::bibtex::destroy token This command cleans up all internal state associated with the parser represented by the handle token, effectively destroying it. This command can be called from within the parser callbacks to terminate processing. ::bibtex::addStrings token stringdict This command adds the macro definitions stored in the dictionary stringdict to the parser represented by the handle token. The dictionary keys are the macro names and the values their replacement strings. This command has the correct signature for use as a -stringcommand callback in an invokation of the command ::bibtex::parse. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category bibtex of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
bibliography, bibtex, parsing, text processing CATEGORY
Text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005 for documentation, Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> bibtex 0.5 bibtex(n)