Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching a particular character in a file Post 302456113 by kurumi on Thursday 23rd of September 2010 08:16:36 AM
Old 09-23-2010
Code:
ruby -00 -ne 'p $_.count("a")' data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for $ character

I need to search in text files for the $ character. I tried putting it in double quotes and single quotes . ie grep "$" filename but unix finds everything in the file. Whats the best way to do this? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string for a character

I have a co-worker that is trying to make a Wheel of Fortune game and he wants to know if there is a way to search a string for the letter given by the user. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Searching for length of words between slash character

Dear UNIX Community, I have a set of file paths like the one below: \\folder name \ folder1 \ folder2 \ folder3 \ folder4 \\folder name \ very long folder name \ even longer name I would like to find the length of the characters (including space) between the \'s. However, I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude new line character while searching

Hi, I have a log file and want to search "0.48976360737438795" with excluding new line character. Currently i am using the following command: cat LogFile.log | tr -d '\n' | grep '0.48976360737438795' This command giving me the response if file size is small but if i am using a big file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit jain
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching Alphanumeric Character From a File

Hi, In a error log file, the error code of a particular error contains both Alphabet and Numbers. My problem statement is to find the error codes from a particular log. That means, I need to search a word, which contains both alphabet and number. Please help me. Below is two examples of error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snehasish_jana
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching invalid character in list of client name

Hi Friend, I have a client name list and client name has some invalid character due to which some issue raised and list of client are15k. I want to make script who find invalid character name. can you please help me how i can make script, i means i need logic. Valid character are :- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
5 Replies
ERB(1)							 Ruby Programmer's Reference Guide						    ERB(1)

NAME
erb -- Ruby Templating SYNOPSIS
erb [--version] [-UPdnvx] [-E ext[:int]] [-S level] [-T mode] [-r library] [--] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
erb is a command line front-end for ERB library, which is an implementation of eRuby. ERB provides an easy to use but powerful templating system for Ruby. Using ERB, actual Ruby code can be added to any plain text document for the purposes of generating document information details and/or flow control. erb is a part of Ruby. OPTIONS
--version Prints the version of erb. -E external[:internal] --encoding external[:internal] Specifies the default value(s) for external encodings and internal encoding. Values should be separated with colon (:). You can omit the one for internal encodings, then the value (Encoding.default_internal) will be nil. -P Evaluates lines starting with % as Ruby code and removes the tailing EOLs. -S level Specifies the safe level in which eRuby script will run. -T mode Specifies trim mode (default 0). mode can be one of 0 EOL remains after the embedded ruby script is evaluated. 1 EOL is removed if the line ends with %>. 2 EOL is removed if the line starts with <% and ends with %>. - EOL is removed if the line ends with -%>. And leading whitespaces are removed if the erb directive starts with <%-. -U can be one of Sets the default value for internal encodings (Encoding.default_internal) to UTF-8. -d --debug Turns on debug mode. $DEBUG will be set to true. -h --help Prints a summary of the options. -n Used with -x. Prepends the line number to each line in the output. -v Enables verbose mode. $VERBOSE will be set to true. -x Converts the eRuby script into Ruby script and prints it without line numbers. EXAMPLES
Here is an eRuby script <?xml version="1.0" ?> <% require 'prime' -%> <erb-example> <calc><%= 1+1 %></calc> <var><%= __FILE__ %></var> <library><%= Prime.each(10).to_a.join(", ") %></library> </erb-example> Command % erb -T - example.erb prints <?xml version="1.0" ?> <erb-example> <calc>2</calc> <var>example.erb</var> <library>2, 3, 5, 7</library> </erb-example> SEE ALSO
ruby(1). And see ri(1) documentation for ERB class. REPORTING BUGS
o Security vulnerabilities should be reported via an email to security@ruby-lang.org. Reported problems will be published after being fixed. o Other bugs and feature requests can be reported via the Ruby Issue Tracking System (http://bugs.ruby-lang.org). Do not report security vulnerabilities via this system because it publishes the vulnerabilities immediately. AUTHORS
Written by Masatoshi SEKI. UNIX
November 15, 2012 UNIX