Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: break before word if it's not last on the line Post 302455423 by Scott on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 02:10:41 PM
Old 09-21-2010
In that case, skip the Ctrl-v, Ctrl-j thing, just replace it by pressing Enter...

Code:
sed 's/fish [^ ]*$/ \
&/' file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

put each word in new line - sed or tr

Hello ! I have a result of ls command in a file: file1 file2 file3.out file4.pdf file5 they all are separated by space. I need to put them on a separate line example: file1 file2 file3.out file4.pdf fil35 i tried sed 's/ /\n/g' inputfile > outputfile but did not help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Help (Using expression - line break)

*Note, I thought I was in Shell Programming and Scripting Q&A and posted in a wrong forum. To avoid confusion and to inform people that I'm not trying to "spam" the forums, I'm adding this note up top* Hi Everyone thanks in advance for any input you can provide on the following question! I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

move the last word to begining of next line - SED

Hello, I'm trying to move the last word of matching pattern to the begining of next line. Appreciate if anyone post the script. From the below line I'm getting the last word, Note: this word also appears in many places in my file #return the last word of line that contains ListenPort sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - deleting each line up to a word

Hi there, I'd like to delete the beginning of a line up until it finds a certain word or character string: in this case, I'd like to delete each line up to the word "mounting". Thanks ;) Susan (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kitykity
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with line break

<td> CIS </td>and I tried to sed 's/<td>\/nCIS\/n<\/td>/<td><\/td>' and sed 's/<td>\/rCIS\/r<\/td>/<td><\/td>' , but no joy. This is an html page that I need to clean. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

break the string and print it in a new line after a specific word

Hi Gurus I am new to this forum.. I am using HP Unix OS. I have one single string in input file as shown below Abc123 | cde | fgh | ghik| lmno | Abc456 |one |two |three | four | Abc789 | five | Six | seven | eight | Abc098 | ........ I want to achive the result in a output file as shown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line break on word

I have a file that contains the following: ^field LINE_1 data ^field LINE_2 data ^field LINE_3 data ^field LINE_4 data ^field LINE_5 data ... And im looking to do a line break at the end of the number before the text to make it look like this ^field LINE_1 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: darbs121
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a particular word on particular line with sed?

I have a file from which I am trying to delete a particular word on a particular line. NEW NEW /v/engine NEW /ifs/list NEW /ifs/vdrome NEW I am trying to delete the first line only if it contains the word NEW. I am also trying to delete the last line only if it contains the word NEW. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed for deleting the first word of each line?

sed /'1-2'/&^/ filename suppose there is a file containing three lines , how do we do delete the word from each line? hyter efr frf rerfer efe ewd cdcf evrfgf erfv the output has to look like frf ewd erfv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev Nukala
2 Replies
FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)						   Fvwm Modules 						FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)

NAME
FvwmConsoleC.pl - Command editor for fvwm command input interface SYNOPSIS
FvwmConsole -e /usr/X11/lib/fvwm/FvwmConsoleC.pl COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1996, Toshi Isogai. No guarantees or warranties are provided. Use this program at your own risk. Permission to use this program for any purpose is given, as long as the copyright is kept intact. DESCRIPTION
FvwmConsoleC.pl offers editing capabilities while the user is entering the line. By default, the line editing commands are similar to those of emacs. It also offers substitution , which replaces a pattern to a string before it sends the command. FUNCTIONS
Functions are bound to a key or key combination to be invoked. The followings are functions available and their default key bindings. bind Meta-k, Ctrl-x Ctrl-b List up key bindings and substitutions. boh Move to the beginning of history. boh_ign_mode Esc-< Move to the beginning of history. If it is in search mode, continue. bol Home, Ctrl-a Move cursor to the beginning of the line. bs[(n)] BackSpace, Ctrl-h Backspace n times. default of n is 1. cancel Ctrl-x Ctrl-k Cancel the current input. del_back_line Delete the line from the beginning to the cursor. del_back_word Ctrl-w Delete the word from the beginning to the cursor. del_char [(n)] Delete, Ctrl-d Delete n characters from the cursor to the right. Default of n is 1. del_forw_line Ctrl-k Delete the line from the cursor to the end. del_forw_word Meta-d Delete the word from the cursor to the end. del_line Ctrl-u Delete the entire line. enter Enter, Ctrl-j, Ctrl-m Perform substitution if applicable and send the line to fvwm. enter_wo_subst Meta-Enter Send the line to fvwm without any substitution. eoh Move to the end of history. eoh_ign_mode Esc-> Move to the end of history. If it is in search mode, continue. eol End, Ctrl-e Move the cursor to the end of line. ins_char (str) Insert string at the cursor. ins_last_word Esc-. Insert the last argument of the previous command at the cursor. ins_nth_word Meta-[1..9] Insert the n-th argument of the previous command at the cursor. list_func Meta-l List up available editing functions. next_char Right, Ctrl-f Move the cursor to the next character. next_line Down, Ctrl-n Move to the next line in history. next_word Meta-f Move the cursor to the next word. prefix Wait for the next character typed in for multi-key binding. prev_char Left, Ctrl-b Move the cursor to the previous character. prev_line Up, Ctrl-p Move to the previous line in history. prev_word Meta-b Move the cursor to the previous word. quote Ctrl-q Insert the next character typed into the buffer literally. search Ctrl-s Search pattern in history. search_rev Ctrl-r Search pattern in history in reverse order. subst Meta-s Substitute all patterns to strings and reprint the line. The substitutions are not nested and performed in the order that they are defined. CONFIGURATION
The key binding can be overridden or defined in fvwm module configuration. *FvwmConsole: Key ck prev_line Non-space character sequence need not be quoted. In order to undefine, omit the last argument. *FvwmConsole: Key ck Note that non-meta character is case sensitive. c means control key, e means escape, and m is alt key. It also accepts Subst configuration. Users often input long fvwm command repeatedly. Subst will replace particular input sequence to user defined string. Example: *FvwmConsole: Subst '^bigx' 'Exec xterm -g 120x60+0+0 -fn 10x20 -fg black -bg lemonchiffon' Typing 'bigx<return>' in FvwmConsole will launch xterm. '^' denotes the beginning of line in regular expression. 'pl' in the middle of the command will not be replaced. Although the format looks different, it takes Perl regular expression. It just uses single or double quote as the delimiter. Single or double quotes have no difference, although they have to match, and cannot include itself in the string. *FvwmConsole: Subst '^gs*(d+)' 'Desk 0 0 GotoPage 0 $1 Focus' Entering 'g4' or 'g 4' will jump to desk 0 page 0 4 and focus. INVOCATION
FvwmConsoleC.pl should be invoked by FvwmConsole. SEE ALSO
FvwmConsole(1x), perlre(1) AUTHOR
Toshi Isogai 3rd Berkeley Distribution 7 May 208 (2.5.26) FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)