Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare 2 result sets using a script Post 302455295 by sachin.bajaj on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 08:23:36 AM
Old 09-21-2010
"comm file1 file2" gives you three columns
1-> rows only present in file1
2-> rows only present in file2
3-> rows that are common to both files

This should help you if your tables are identical and you just need to know if these two tables have same member columns in the composite primary key.

If you meant something else, plz give an example of expected output.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Clouds (Partially Order Sets) - Streams (Linearly Ordered Sets) - Part 2

timbass Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:07:53 +0000 Originally posted in Yahoo! CEP-Interest Here is my follow-up note on posets (partially ordered sets) and tosets (totally or linearly ordered sets) as background set theory for event processing, and in particular CEP and ESP. In my last note, we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While finding compare the result with given string

Hello, There are directories named by "yyyyMMdd" format. The one directory name is given and I should find & print that directory & its previous days directory names if exist. For example: 20080401 20080402 20080403 20080404 ... The given date: 20080403 The result: 20080403... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files and output result in pop up window

Need help ! how do i compare 2 files and if there is a difference, output a massage in a pop up window? the script meant to run using crontab. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hongsh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare result lpstat with hostsfile

Hi there all, I got a long list of printers installed and a longer list of printers in my hosts file. In the hosts file I got a even longer list of printers in the hosts file I got the IP adress of all printers next to the printer name. How can I get a script working to get the printers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files, diff the result

Hi Everyone, 1.txt 00:01:01 asdf 00:33:33 1234 00:33:33 0987 00:33:33 12 00:33:33 444 2.txt vvvv|ee 444|dd33|ee dddd|ee 12|ee 3ciur|fdd the output should be: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two files to get correct result.see example?

Hello, I have two files A and B .A file consist of the words that user will put whereas file B consist of all user's LDAP a/c.I want here that if user don't mention LDAP a/c in comment than it will exit otherwise success. File A.I have a solution that I will modify the file A ...just save the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 file and write result

Hi friends...I have 2 files, file1.txt and reference.txt I could able to find difference using diff and following command awk 'NR == FNR { A=1; next } !A' reference.txt file1.txt above command listing data which is not in reference.txt 12.12 87 11.95 88 11.83 89 12.55 84... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the current result with previous line result.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to compare current result with previous reuslt. The sample case is below. 1 job1 1 1 job2 2 1 job3 3 2 job_a1 1 2 job_a2 2 2 job_a3 3 3 job_b1 1 3 job_b2 2 for above sample file, GID is group ID, for input line, the job run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 columns from the same file and print a value depending on the result

Hello Unix gurus, I have a file with this format (example values): label1 1 0 label2 1 0 label3 0.4 0.6 label4 0.5 0.5 label5 0.1 0.9 label6 0.9 0.1 in which: column 1 is a row label column 2 and 3 are values I would like to do a simple operation on this table and get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
8 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)