Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Addition
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Addition Post 302455096 by gautamshaw on Monday 20th of September 2010 08:28:14 PM
Old 09-20-2010
Addition

Hi all,
I am very new to shell programming and trying to learn out the basics.
I tried this:

$ echo `expr 20 + 30`

and it worked. But when i tried this,it does not work.

$ a=20
$ b=30
$ echo `expr a + b`

The error is:

expr: non-numeric argument

I cant understand why its throwing me this error Smilie

Pleas explain and solve my problem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition

Hi all, I am new to perl. I need help adding bunch of numbers. I have a file look like this: 1 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: email-lalit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

addition in sh shell

I have to create un counter and I am unable to do an additition: #!/bin/sh count=$1 while ] do echo $count $count=$count+$1 done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cfg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with addition

Hi all, I am getting following output by using commands like sort, uniq and awk to the standard output. 110 d 40 a 59 c 9 b 3 e Now at the end I would like to add all the numbers in column 1 and display the count of all numbers i.e. (110 + 40 + 59 + 9 + 3). Also the output may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition Of New Fields

Hi, I want to add 3 new fields in the existing file.Please find the example below. input: UID: ABCD UNAME: XYZ Desired Output Tmiestamp: 20101208 UID: ABCD UNAME: XYZ DEPTNO:40 ModifyTImestamp:20101209 If you see the above i have added the 3 columns manually in the output section... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nani7574
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution/Addition

Hi I need to do the following substitution I have to look for line starting with ABC and add 4 ":" before the first occurence of "+"in that line Input ABC:12:Lambert:C278472:1357:0:0:0:0:2:N::::N:9045123:NAP::+DEF output ABC:12:Lambert:C278472:1357.00:0.00:0:0:0:2:N::::N:9045123:NAP::::::+DEF... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk addition

How would I print out the total amount through awk? I tried using print "Total Amount: " $4+$4; Would I have to do a for loop to get through everything? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boltftw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of decimal no

a=10.00 pattern=-11.00 b=`echo "$a $pattern" | awk ' printf("%d\n", $1 + $2)'` echo $b not working, also trined bc ,dc but thats not on my m/c. also expr not supporting. any clue? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of two numbers

by the script, two files Q1 and Q2 will be generated on the system. Q1 will contain an integer number and Q2 also contain an integer number. i would like to add those numbers and put into new file. excerpt from my script 22 subcount=`echo $dir/Q$qid.txt` + `echo $dir/Q$qid.txt` 23 echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limitation in addition

whats wrong with this addition? Whats the maximum number of digits can be handled? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ const=201234454654768979799999 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ let new+=const pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ echo $new -2152890657037557890 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array value addition

Hello all I have a statement : ARRAY_MOUNT_POINT_NAME=`df -h | awk '{print $6}'| head -`expr $i+2` |tail -1` when the value of i=0 , I want the head argument to be at -2 . Using the expr statement isnt working. Help ! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

Name
       expr - evaluate expressions

Syntax
       expr arg...

Description
       The arguments are taken as an expression.  After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output.  Each token of the expression is
       a separate argument.

The operators and keywords are listed below.  The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped.

expr | expr	   Yields the first expr if it is neither null nor 0.  Otherwise yields the second expr.

expr & expr	   Yields the first expr if neither expr is null or 0.	Otherwise yields 0.

expr relop expr	   The relop is one of < <= = != >= > and yields 1 if the indicated comparison is true, '0' if false.  The  comparison	is
			   numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic.

expr + expr
	    expr - expr
			   Yields addition or subtraction of the arguments.

expr * expr
	    expr / expr
	    expr % expr
			   Yields multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments.

expr : expr	   The	matching  operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expres-
			   sion syntax is the same as that of The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the  first  argument.
			   Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched ('0' on failure).

( expr ) 	   parentheses for grouping.

Examples
       The first example adds 1 to the Shell variable a:
       a=`expr $a + 1`
       The second example finds the file name part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a,
       expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a
       Note the quoted Shell metacharacters.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the following exit codes:

0    The expression is neither null nor '0'.

1    The expression is null or '0'.

2    The expression is invalid.

See Also
       ed(1), sh(1), test(1)

expr(1)