Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting characters with sed,perl,awk Post 302454633 by bartus11 on Sunday 19th of September 2010 11:26:19 AM
Old 09-19-2010
$\ is output record separator (it is like ORS in awk).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed with special characters

i have this script that searches for a pattern. However it fails if the pattern includes some special characters. So far, it fails with the following strings: 1. -Cr 2. $Mj 3. H'412 would a sed or awk be more effective? i don't want the users to put the (\) during the search (they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting particular lines and moving a line up using perl/sed

Hi, I need convert a dump file in the following format : (please note that line numbers are provided for easy look) Original file: 1 2007-10-2482.90 No trade 0 0.00 100000.00 2 100000.00 3 0.00 4 HOLD 5 2007-10-2589.75 Bought 1114 1114 100000.00 0.00 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some characters with SED or AWK

Hi, I have the following example string: today_is_a_good_day.txt The character "_" inside the string can sometimes be more or less. The solution for every string equal the count of "_" should be alway the rest after the last underline character. Result: day.txt I want to use awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: climber
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Doubled Block with sed or awk

hi there, i have a text file like that one: I like to delete the second block with the Start and End Line! Does anyone have a idea? Thanks for your help, Roland (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolandh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a file with sed and awk?

cat file.txt fvnuiehuewf ruevhxncvkjrh zxjvurhfuwe jkhvBEGINvfnvf ijrgioe Trying to delete a line that has the pattern "BEGIN" cat sedtest filename=file.txt pattern=BEGIN sed "/^$pattern/d" "$filename" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and sed, how to exclude certain characters

Hello everyone: I have ran into this a few times now where my skills are just not up to snuff when it comes to Unix. So, I came here to find some beard stroking Unix wizard to help me. Basically, I am using OS X 10.5 in large scale at work and sometimes I have to run some custom reports. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the first column with sed,awk or perl

336 brtr 256 hello Output: brtr hello How can i do this with sed,awk or perl? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines between patterns using sed or awk

hi, Here is excerpt from my xml file <!-- The custom module to do the authentication for LDAP --> </login-module> <login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient"> <module-option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern.

Hi, I'm writing a ksh script and trying to use an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove the last 4 characters of a line in a file if it begins with a period. Here is the contents of the file... the column in which I want to remove the last 4 characters is the last column. ($6 in awk). I've... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicated chunks in a file using awk/sed

Hi all, I'd always appreciate all helps from this site. I would like to delete duplicated chunks of strings on the same row(?). One chunk is comprised of four lines such as: path name starting point ending point voltage number I would like to delete duplicated chunks on the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)