Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can partition out /var with these two separate 10 gigabyte disks? Post 302454443 by Neo on Saturday 18th of September 2010 08:51:09 AM
Old 09-18-2010
The answers depends on your software architecture.

Depending on your version of unix or linux, you might consider using logical volumes.

Another option is to cut the output of your df command and paste the reply, using code tags, into your next post for advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

re-partition disks on solaris

hi all, i was wondering if i have some volume manager and i want to format all partitions/disks and re-create new slices can i use regular format command or what? i think veritas volume manager is already installed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Gigabyte and Terabyte

Guy's I need help calculating a list of numbers that will be majority Terabytes but also have Gigabytes intermingled. So far when I calculate this, the Gigabytes throw off my true Terabyte total. Here is a list…… total 1.56 TB ,Mon Jun 09 23:59:11 2008 total 3.42 TB ,Tue Jun 10 23:59:10 2008... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terryporter51
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

partition out /var

Hi If You were the systems administrator of a mail server that services approximately 3,000 users. 2,000 users access their email via a POP-3 service, while the remaining 1,000 users access their email via a Unix mail reader. Recently users have complained about speed of disk access, so a new 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: semaphore
1 Replies

4. BSD

Moving /var partition to USB stick

I am currently running DesktopBSD as a live-CD and need to have a large /var partition because it is currently too small. I have a USB stick which is BSD formatted, and would like to have the /var partition moved over to it. How can this be done? Could I for instance use a symlink? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figaro
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

separate "named daemon" message from /var/adm/messages

Hello group, How can I separate "named daemon" messages to the other file instead of /var/adm/messages. I still want all other daemons log the messages to /var/adm/messages. i.e. named => /var/adm/named.message other daemons => /var/adm/messages. I searched unix.com, and google but I still... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannytrinh
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Install with /var in separate partition - Zfs / 10

This is my first time working with ZFS on Solaris 10. I am trying to set up /var in a separate partition from /. During the installation, I came across the ZFS settings where I selected disks 0 and 1 to be mirrored with ZFS. Next was the option to have /var and / on separate datasets. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 6L71
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I link my Ubuntu desktop to a separate partition?

I have a dual boot system on my laptop running Windows 7 professional and Ubuntu 10.10. I would like my windows 7 desktop C:\users\username\Desktop and also my Ubuntu 10.10 desktop /home/username/Desktop to both save their files to the same location somewhere...perhaps /windows (a 40 gb win32... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcus Aurelius
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to separate my /var/adm/messages output

Hi, Please help to seprate my /var/adm/messages output. Than i want to take this output in the excel. e,g cat /var/adm/messages Sep 4 10:16:52 ibsadm1 inetd: vnetd from 172.17.5.20 38353 Sep 4 10:16:52 ibsadm1 inetd: bpcd from 172.17.5.20 915 Sep 4 10:16:55 ibsadm1 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirjhar17
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

/var partition full need help

My /var partition is almost utilized ... Here am not sure where to release space now OS/model : HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 # bdf /var Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol9 6144000 6142176 1824 100% /var <root@pb>/var # du -sk * | sort -n |... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
20 Replies

10. Solaris

Configuring 'auditd' service to not store the audit logs in /var partition

Hello all, I've configured 'audit' service to send the audit logs to a remote log server (by using syslog plugin), which is working fine. However, there is a problem. audit service also tries to write same information (but in binary format) in /var/audit path. So, Is there anyway to stop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anti_Evil
2 Replies
MSGCHK(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								 MSGCHK(1)

NAME
msgchk - check for messages SYNOPSIS
msgchk [-date | -nodate] [-notify all/mail/nomail ] [-nonotify all/mail/nomail ] [-host hostname] [-user username] [-sasl] [-saslmech mech- anism] [-snoop] [users ... ] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The msgchk program checks all known mail drops for mail waiting for you. For those drops which have mail for you, msgchk will indicate if it believes that you have seen the mail in question before. The -notify type switch indicates under what circumstances msgchk should produce a message. The default is -notify all which says that msgchk should always report the status of the users maildrop. Other values for `type' include `mail' which says that msgchk should report the status of waiting mail; and, `nomail' which says that msgchk should report the status of empty maildrops. The -nonotify type switch has the inverted sense, so -nonotify all directs msgchk to never report the status of maildrops. This is useful if the user wishes to check msgchk's exit status. A non-zero exit status indicates that mail was not waiting for at least one of the indicated users. If msgchk produces output, then the -date switch directs msgchk to print out the last date mail was read, if this can be determined. Using POP msgchk will normally check all the local mail drops, but if the option "pophost:" is set in the mts configuration file "mts.conf", or if the -host hostname switch is given, msgchk will query this POP service host as to the status of mail waiting. The default is for msgchk to assume that your account name on the POP server is the same as your current username. To specify a different username, use the `-user username' switch. When using POP, you will normally need to type the password for your account on the POP server, in order to retrieve your messages. It is possible to automate this process by creating a ".netrc" file containing your login account information for this POP server. For each POP server, this file should have a line of the following form. Replace the words mypopserver, mylogin, and mypassword with your own account information. machine mypopserver login mylogin password mypassword This ".netrc" file should be owned and readable only by you. For debugging purposes, there is also a switch -snoop, which will allow you to watch the POP transaction take place between you and the POP server. If nmh has been compiled with SASL support, the -sasl switch will enable the use of SASL authentication. Depending on the SASL mechanism used, this may require an additional password prompt from the user (but the ".netrc" file can be used to store this password). The -saslmech switch can be used to select a particular SASL mechanism. If SASL authentication is successful, inc will attempt to negotiate a security layer for session encryption. Encrypted traffic is labelled with `(encrypted)' and `(decrypted)' when viewing the POP transaction with the -snoop switch. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file /var/mail/$USER Location of mail drop PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
inc(1) DEFAULTS
`user' defaults to the current user `-date' `-notify all' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MSGCHK(1)