Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux on DEC Alpha platform
Operating Systems Linux Linux on DEC Alpha platform Post 302454372 by Roslynlea on Friday 17th of September 2010 10:14:39 PM
Old 09-17-2010
Linux on DEC Alpha platform

Hi All,

Is there a commercially available version of Linux which will run on a DEC/Digital/HP Alpha platform. Specifically a AlphaStation 200 4/166. I am currently running VMS 8.3 on the machine but the HP license conditions are encouraging me to change the OS.

Thanks and Regards,
Ron...

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mouning a Jaz drive on a DEC Alpha? (with a little Solaris thrown in)

Hi, I'm a programmer with a bit of Linux experience who's found himself thrust into the world of out of date Unix versions and hardware. I could really use some help so I can get back to doing something productive with my work days! I have been tasked with getting some information off some Jaz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bartok
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Corresponding libgeom library on linux platform?

I need you help please, I want to use the libgeom library on the Linux platform in order to use the geom_stats_snapshot_get function. But, I can't find this library for linux platform. If someone can help me or give me the equivalent of this library on linux. Thank you again. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leila182009
4 Replies

3. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies
platform(n)						       Tcl Bundled Packages						       platform(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform ?1.0.4? platform::generic platform::identify platform::patterns identifier _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a machine running Tcl. Whilst Tcl provides the tcl_platform array for identifying the current architecture (in particular, the platform and machine elements) this is not always sufficient. This is because (on Unix machines) tcl_platform reflects the values returned by the uname command and these are not standardized across platforms and architectures. In addition, on at least one platform (AIX) the tcl_platform(machine) contains the CPU serial number. Consequently, individual applications need to manipulate the values in tcl_platform (along with the output of system specific utilities) - which is both inconvenient for developers, and introduces the potential for inconsistencies in identifying architectures and in naming con- ventions. The platform package prevents such fragmentation - i.e., it establishes a standard naming convention for architectures running Tcl and makes it more convenient for developers to identify the current architecture a Tcl program is running on. COMMANDS
platform::identify This command returns an identifier describing the platform the Tcl core is running on. The returned identifier has the general for- mat OS-CPU. The OS part of the identifier may contain details like kernel version, libc version, etc., and this information may con- tain dashes as well. The CPU part will not contain dashes, making the preceding dash the last dash in the result. platform::generic This command returns a simplified identifier describing the platform the Tcl core is running on. In contrast to platform::identify it leaves out details like kernel version, libc version, etc. The returned identifier has the general format OS-CPU. platform::patterns identifier This command takes an identifier as returned by platform::identify and returns a list of identifiers describing compatible architec- tures. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform 1.0.4 platform(n)