Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting improve performance - replace $\| with $#@ and remove header and trailer records Post 302454221 by cfajohnson on Friday 17th of September 2010 11:35:26 AM
Old 09-17-2010

You are unlikely to find anything faster than sed.
Code:
sed -e '1d' -e '$d' -e 's/$\\|/$#@/g' "$file"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove header(first line) and trailer(last line) in ANY given file

Hi, I need some help in removing the header (first line) and the trailer (last line) in a give file... The data file actually comes in EBCDIC format and I converted it into ASCII.. Now I need to strip off the first line and the last line.. I think we can use sed to do something like this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy all the files with time stamp and remove header,trailer from file

All, I am new to unix and i have the following requirement. I have file(s) landing into input directory with timestamp, first i want to copy all these files into seperate directory then i want to rename these files without timestamp and also remove header,trailer from that file.. Could... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrams
35 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove header from files: optimal performance

I need to concatenate about a thousand files (using a loop) on a UNIX server. Also, each file has a header row which is to be removed. Which of the following would give better performance? tail+2 <filename> or sed '1,1d' <filename> Or is there another, faster way? Thanks, Kaus (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kausmone
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append Header and Trailer

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix programming. My inquries is:- a) How to add a Header and Trailer in the set of data b) Include a number count of the data in the trailer The set of data only contained the information of 'Customer's Name' and 'Account Number'. I would like to add the Header... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balzzz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge text files while combining the multiple header/trailer records into one each.

Situation: Our system currently executes a job (COBOL Program) that generates an interface file to be sent to one of our vendors. Because this system processes information for over 100,000 employees/retirees (and growing), we'd like to multi-thread the job into processing-groups in order to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oordonez
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Header as is.. trailer count

i have .DAT file FILE1.DAT 1200910270040625 2123456789 J123456 ABC 2123456789 K123456 ABC 2222222222 L123456 DEF 2333333333 M12345 GHI 30000004 My outfile FILE2.TXT should have like this, I need the header value as ie (1200910270040625 ) body rows remove the duplicate rows and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshuser
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Header and Trailer records to a appended file

How can we a shell script and pass date parameters .I have 3 files comming from Datastage with |" delimited I need append 3 files as above: File1: P0000|"47416954|"AU|"000|"INS|"0000|"|"20060601|"99991231|"|"|"|"|"01 File 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e1994264
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last few characters in a file but keeping Header and trailer intact

Hi All, I am trying write a simple command using AWK and SED to this but without any success. Here is what I am using: head -1 test1.txt>test2.txt|sed '1d;$d' test1.txt|awk '{print substr($0,0,(length($0)-2))}' >>test2.txt|tail -1 test1.txt>>test2.txt Input: Header 1234567 abcdefgh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort without Header and Trailer

Hi , My UNIX system is SUN Solaris. I am trying to do a simple thing as described below. I have a PIPE delimited file that has header and trailer. So the file is something like below: Test1.txt looks like something below: field_data1|field_data2|and some more data --Header ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
5 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux