Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep return more than one line Post 302453837 by bartus11 on Thursday 16th of September 2010 01:52:38 PM
Old 09-16-2010
Post real sample data.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a line then return lines above

Hey guys, I just want to grep for a line then return a few lines above it I can't seem to find what im looking for on google can someone help me out? This is on Solaris 9..... I don't have GNU grep so -B and -A commands will not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in the return of grep

hi, i am running this command inside the script var=`grep -il $1 "${logdir}"* | xargs grep -ivl adding | xargs grep -ivl equation | xargs ls -ctr | tail -1` in that grep will find the latest logfile for the variable "$" if it fnd the logfile, then it reutrns the filename to the var if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying grep to return latest files

Hi guys, I currently use the below mwntioned grep statemen to get the timestamp of the last generated file in the directory. (ls -ltr eCustomerCME* | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk ' { print $6,$7,$8 } ') I need to modify this grep to search for files generated only within last 2 hrs. Can you pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

return of grep

Hi, in a script I will do : grep ORA- mylogfile.log If it returns any ORA- (oracle error) I whant to have : echo "subject : RMAN in Error " >> /appli/rap.txt But if no error echo "subject : RMAN OK " >> /appli/rap.txt Can you help me ? The grep return code would it be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep: Return a user message when no hits

I have ASCII files to parse that 48 hours old or more ; I can identify them like so find . -name "FILE*TXT" -mtime +1 -exec ls -ltas '{}' ';' Some files have a list of hardware errors (we test electronic components), some have none. If the file name has no errors, I still want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep to return lines not containing a character

Hello , this is my first topic cause I need your little help:( I got .txt file, and I want to find lines without letter 'a', so im writing: grep "" list.txt (list.txt is the file of course) and i have no idea why it's not working because it shows lines with a. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return line when line below has the string

I have a file with data like this. I want to look for MultiLoad and pull that line and the line above. I cant use the grep -B 1 I dont have that version and cant install on the server. is there a awk or perl that will do it. "CMPGN_RPT_DEV_TT"."text1" (TableId 0029H 5CEEH) bypassed due to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wambli
4 Replies
LINTIAN-INFO(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LINTIAN-INFO(1)

NAME
lintian-info - give detailed information about Lintian's error tags SYNOPSIS
lintian-info [log-file...] lintian-info --tags tag ... DESCRIPTION
The lintian-info command parses the output of the lintian command and gives verbose information about the listed Lintian error tags, parses a Lintian override file and gives verbose information about the tags included, or (if given the -t or --tags option) explains a given tag or tags. If no log-file is specified on the command line, this command expects its input on stdin. Thus, the output of lintian can either be piped through lintian-info or a log file produced by lintian can be processed with this command. (Note, though, that the lintian command has a command line option -i to display the same results as lintian-info, so you will not normally need to pipe the output of lintian into this command.) OPTIONS
-a, --annotate Read from standard input or any files specified on the command line and search the input for lines formatted like Lintian override entries. For each one that was found, display verbose information about that tag. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. --profile prof Use the severities from the vendor profile prof when displaying tags. If the profile name does not contain a slash, the default profile for than vendor is chosen. If not specified, lintian-info loads the best profile for the current vendor. Please Refer to the Lintian User Manual for the full documentation of profiles. -t, --tags Rather than treating them as log file names, treat any command-line options as tag names and display the descriptions of each tag. EXIT STATUS
If -t or --tags was given and one or more of the tags specified were unknown, this command returns the exit code 1. Otherwise, it always returns with exit code 0. SEE ALSO
lintian(1) AUTHORS
Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> perl v5.14.2 2013-02-16 LINTIAN-INFO(1)