Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing a portion of data in a file Post 302453785 by Lucky Ali on Thursday 16th of September 2010 11:40:36 AM
Old 09-16-2010
Removing a portion of data in a file

Hi,
I have a folder that contains many (multiple) files

1.fasta
2.fasta
3.fasta
4.fasta
5.fasta
100's of files

Each such file have data in the following format
for example:
vi 1.fasta

Code:
Code:
>AB_1
MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM
IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII
RRIKRDMMERGRSLESIIDQYTSVVKPMYHQFIEPSKRYADIVIPEGVSNVVAIDVINSKIASILGEV
>AB_2
MRARLIYNPTSGQELMRKSVPEVLDILEGFGYETSAFQTTAKKNSALNEARRAAKAGFDLLIAAGGDGTI
NEVVNGIAPLKKRPKMAIIPTGTTNDFARALKVPRGNPSQAAKLIGKNQTIQMDIGRAKKDTYFINIAAA
GSLTELTYSVPSQLKTMFGYLAYLAKGVELLPRVSNVPVKITHDKGVFEGQVSMIFAAITNSVGGFEMIA
PDAKLDDGMFTLILIKTANLFEIVHLLRLILDGGKHITDRRVEYIKTSKIVIEPQCGKRMMINLDGEYGG
DAPITLENLKNHITFFADTDLISDDALVLDQDELEIEEIVKKFAHEVEDLEQELEE
>AB_3
MTGYDDFNYALSALKLGADDYLLKPFSKADVEDMLGKLRKKLELSKKTETIQELVEQPQKEVSAIAMAIH
ERLADSDLTLKSLAQQLGFSPNYLSVLIKKELGMPFQDYLVQERLKKAKLFLLTSNLKIYEIAEQVGFED
MNYFSQRFKQLVGVTPSQYKKGGQA
>AB_4 
>AB_5  

I would like to edit these files such a way that the data below
>AB_1 is removed (including the header) and have an output file like'

Code:
>AB_2
>AB_3
MTGYDDFNYALSALKLGADDYLLKPFSKADVEDMLGKLRKKLELSKKTETIQELVEQPQKEVSAIAMAIH
ERLADSDLTLKSLAQQLGFSPNYLSVLIKKELGMPFQDYLVQERLKKAKLFLLTSNLKIYEIAEQVGFED
MNYFSQRFKQLVGVTPSQYKKGGQA
>AB_4 
>AB_5  

Like wise I would it to all the files in the folder.
Please let me know the best way to do it in awk or sed/
LA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a portion of a code from a file

Hi everyone, I need to know how to remove a chunk of codes from a file for instance i have couple of lines which are commented out of the file and i need to remove that block. here is the example --#------------------------------------------------------------------ --# File name= ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of a data file with identifier

Hi, I do have a TAB delimted text file with the following format. 1 (- identifier of each group. this text is not present in the file only number) 1 3 4 65 56 WERTF 2 3 4 56 56 GHTYHU 3 3 5 64 23 VMFKLG 2 1 3 4 65 56 DGTEYDH 2 3 4 56 56 FJJJCKC 3 3 5 64 23 FNNNCHD 3 1 3 4 65 56 JDHJDH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP to server, pulling data and removing the data

Hi all, I have the following script, but are not too sure about the syntax to complete the script. In essence, the script must connect to a SFTP server at a client site with username and password located in a file on my server. Then change to the appropriate directory. Pull the data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of data from a very large tab delimited text file

Hi All I wanted to know how to effectively delete some columns in a large tab delimited file. I have a file that contains 5 columns and almost 100,000 rows 3456 f g t t 3456 g h 456 f h 4567 f g h z 345 f g 567 h j k lThis is a very large data file and tab delimited. I need... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a portion of Data from a text file

Hi All, I need some help to effectively parse out a subset of results from a big results file. Below is an example of the text file. Each block that I need to parse starts with "Output of GENE for sequence file 100.fasta" (next block starts with another number). I have given the portion of... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract portion of data

Hi Gurus, I need some help in extracting some of these information and massage it into the desired output as shown below. I need to extract the last row with the header in below sample which is usually the most recent date, for example: 2012-06-01 142356 mb 519 -219406 mb 1 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing portion of file name

Hi , I am getting file name like ABC_DATA_CUSTIOMERS_20120617.dat ABC_DATA_PRODUCTS_20120617.dat Need to convert CUSTIOMERS.dat PRODUCTS.dat Help me how to do this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach_malu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting : Sort a Portion of a File and not the complete file

Need to sort a portion of a file in a Alphabetical Order. Example : The user adam is not sorted and the user should get sorted. I don't want the complete file to get sorted. Currently All_users.txt contains the following lines. ############## # ARS USERS ############## mike, Mike... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inline binary data from txt file

I am trying to parse a file but the filehas binary data inline mixed with text fields. I tried the binutils strings function , it get the binary data out but put the char following the binary data in a new line . input file app_id:1936 pgm_num:0 branch:TBNY ord_num:0500012(–QMK) deal_num:0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tasmac
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies
REPROF(1)							   User Commands							 REPROF(1)

NAME
reprof - predict protein secondary structure and solvent accessibility SYNOPSIS
reprof -i [query.blastPsiMat] [OPTIONS] reprof -i [query.fasta] [OPTIONS] reprof -i [query.blastPsiMat|query.fasta] --mutations [mutations.txt] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Predict protein secondary structure and solvent accessibility. Output Format The output format is self-explanatory, i.e. the colums of the output are described in the output file itself. OPTIONS
-i, --input=FILE Input BLAST PSSM matrix file (from Blast -Q option) or input (single) FASTA file. -o, --out=FILE Either an output file or a directory. If not provided or a directory, the suffix of the input filename (i.e. .fasta or .blastPsiMat) is replaced to create an output filename. --mutations=[all|FILE] Either the keyword "all" to predict all possible mutations or a file containing mutations one per line such as "C12M" for C is mutated to M on position 12: C30Y R31W G48D This mutation code is also attached to the output filename using "_". An additional file ending "_ORI" contains the prediction using no evolutionary information even if a BLAST PSSM matrix was provided. --modeldir=DIR Directory where the model and feature files are stored. Default: /usr/share/reprof. AUTHOR
Peter Hoenigschmid hoenigschmid@rostlab.org, Burkhard Rost EXAMPLES
Prediction from BLAST PSSM matrix for best results: reprof -i /usr/share/doc/reprof/examples/example.Q -o /tmp/example.Q.reprof Prediction from FASTA file: reprof -i /usr/share/doc/reprof/examples/example.fasta -o /tmp/example.fasta.reprof Prediction from BLAST PSSM matrix file using the mutation mode: reprof -i /usr/share/doc/reprof/examples/example.Q -o /tmp/mutations_example.Q.reprof --mutations /usr/share/doc/reprof/examples/mutations.txt # Result files for the above call are going to be: # /tmp/mutations_example.Q.{reprof,reprof_F172P,reprof_M1Q,reprof_N34Y,reprof_ORI} - see --mutations for a description of the extensions. COPYRIGHT
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. BUGS
https://rostlab.org/bugzilla3/enter_bug.cgi?product=reprof SEE ALSO
blast2(1) http://rostlab.org/ 1.0.1 2012-01-13 REPROF(1)