Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete the word after a regular expression Post 302453717 by The Gamemaster on Thursday 16th of September 2010 07:02:50 AM
Old 09-16-2010
How to delete the word after a regular expression

Example:

Lucas RUNCYCLE Rule1 Astigmatism
Robot RUNCYCLE Rule2 Jack RUNCYCLE Calendar1 June
Lucy RUNCYCLE Exception4 Fear RUNCYCLE Calendar5 August

In this example, how can I delete the next after the expression RUNCYCLE? (i.e. Rule1, Rule2, Calendar1, Exception1, Calendar5)

I'm thinking of awk and/or sed but I can't figure out how to exactly do it. BTW, I'm programming in Korn shell.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression

OK, this ones been bugging me.... 9DH21AQAE~56081~109~12/18/2003~ ~B ~ ~ I want to remove all but 1 of the trailing spaces after the last ~, there may be 2 or more trailing spaces tried s/\~ +/\~ /g but no go thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edog
5 Replies

3. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression

Hi, I have the following file as shown below: Replace() { sed -e "s+ABCDIR+$DDIR/C+g" \ -e "s+ABCDIR+$DDIR/C+g" \ -e "s + ABCDDIR+$DDIR/C"\ } I need a Regular expression to grep 0nly ABCDIR. if i use grep -i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Regular Expression Word Search

I'm trying to have my perl script telnet into the network device execute a command then dump the output of the command into a variable. The script then greps for the word "STANDBY". I can't seem to get the script to print out the output because it seems that the script can't find the word... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xmaverick
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete lines matching a regular expression

I have a very large file (over 700 million lines) that has some lines that I need to delete. An example of 5 lines of the file: HS4_80:8:2303:19153:193032 153 k80:138891 HS4_80:8:2105:5544:43174 89 k88:81949 165 k88:81949 323 0 * = 323 0 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)