Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat command
Operating Systems AIX cat command Post 302453518 by john1212 on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 02:30:49 PM
Old 09-15-2010
Gentlemen,
First, if a read from disk once it was already in the cache disk, for the next reading was not reading from the disk.
Second, the time for entering commands from the keyboard to be unreasonably long, in scripts, in cron, it's OK.
In interactive mode I include the filename after command tail without a cat.

---------- Post updated at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:06 PM ----------

corona688:
It's formum AIX not intel8080 or z80 now 15 september 2010.

Last edited by john1212; 09-15-2010 at 03:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

the CAT command

hi everybody, how do i open a txt file writen in unix on to a web page so when i want to view the txt file that was generated from a shell program, that file is open on a web page do i use the cat > filename.html command to do this, or is there another way many thanks :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexd
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat command

What does the below command means $cat <<% >abc.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAT command

All - how do i save the file after i used CAT command line to modify? Thanks :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
2 Replies

4. AIX

cat command

I would like to append some statement into 1 single file so that it can be concatenate together in 1 word. I have tried >> but it will seperate my 2 statement into 2 rows. # cat abc.txt cde.txt > result.txt where abc.txt is "abcde" and cde.txt is "12345" the result should come out as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

Dear All I have two text files File1.txt and File2.txt . I am concatenating the two files and making it as single file Cat_File.txt. Now i need to keep joined file in two different path. that is I need to use cat command only once ,but store joined file in two different locations. Since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

I believe I used the cat command to append a file beside another file (instead of below it) but I did not document it any where and I can't remember exactly how I did it. Has anyone else done this? I have tried all the cat options individually with no luck. It may be a combination of options. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need some help on using cat command

I have a file "sample.txt" with the content as below: Hi This is a Sample Text. I need a single command using cat which serve the following purpose. 1.display the contents of sample.txt 2.append some text to it 3. and then exit But, all should be served by a sinle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
1 Replies
iosnoop(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						       iosnoop(1m)

NAME
iosnoop - snoop I/O events as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
iosnoop [-a|-A|-Deghinostv] [-d device] [-f filename] [-m mount_point] [-n name] [-p PID] DESCRIPTION
iosnoop prints I/O events as they happen, with useful details such as UID, PID, block number, size, filename, etc. This is useful to determine the process responsible for using the disks, as well as details on what activity the process is requesting. Be- haviour such as random or sequential I/O can be observed by reading the block numbers. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -A dump all data, space delimited -D print time delta, us (elapsed) -e print device name -i print device instance -N print major and minor numbers -o print disk delta time, us -s print start time, us -t print completion time, us -v print completion time, string -d device instance name to snoop (eg, dad0) -f filename full pathname of file to snoop -m mount_point mountpoint for filesystem to snoop -n name process name -p PID process ID EXAMPLES
Default output, print I/O activity as it occurs, # iosnoop Print human readable timestamps, # iosnoop -v Print major and minor numbers, # iosnoop -N Snoop events on the root filesystem only, # iosnoop -m / FIELDS
UID User ID PID Process ID PPID Parent Process ID COMM command name for the process ARGS argument listing for the process SIZE size of the operation, bytes BLOCK disk block for the operation (location. relative to this filesystem. more useful with the -N option to print major and minor num- bers) STIME timestamp for the disk request, us TIME timestamp for the disk completion, us DELTA elapsed time from request to completion, us (this is the elapsed time from the disk request (strategy) to the disk completion (iodone)) DTIME time for disk to complete request, us (this is the time for the disk to complete that event since it's last event (time between iodones), or, the time to the strategy if the disk had been idle) STRTIME timestamp for the disk completion, string DEVICE device name INS device instance number D direction, Read or Write MOUNT mount point FILE filename (basename) for I/O operation NOTES
When filtering on PID or process name, be aware that poor disk event times may be due to events that have been filtered away, for example another process that may be seeking the disk heads elsewhere. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
iosnoop will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
iotop(1M), dtrace(1M) version 1.50 Jul 25, 2005 iosnoop(1m)