Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in dollar substitution Post 302453361 by scripter12 on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 03:52:51 AM
Old 09-15-2010
problem in dollar substitution

Hi,

I have a problem in dollar substitution:-
$ csv1="first_csv"
$ csvnumber=1
$ echo {csv$csvnumber}
{csv1}
$ echo "${csv$csvnumber}"
bad substitution

I want first_csv...why is it not working

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution problem.

Hi, Just need some help in this. Suppose there is one file a.txt, which contains this data: "25187","00000022","00",28-MAR-2007,"" ,"D",-000001550,+0000000000,"C", ,+000000000,+000000000,000000000,"2","" ,29-MAR-2007 613TB.STEXTRF1 "25187","0000004H","00",29-MAR-2007,""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

2. AIX

VI Substitution problem

I'm having a problem getting my variables to work in dishing out an RMC script. The $1 works fine. $2 does not Here's a portion of the script: server=$1 filesystem1=$2 # dsh -w $1 'mkcondition -c "/var space used" -s "Name == \"$2\"" -e "PercentTotUsed > 90" -d "An event will be generated... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gravy26
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution problem

Can anyone please help me on this. i have a file with lines say X X3200 X X X X2400 X X4100 I want to use sed to put the numbers in braces. the output should be like, X X(3200) X X X X(2400) X X(4100) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: diliphp
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another substitution problem

Hello again, I'm trying to change the following line: INSERT INTO PH1_TX_LOAD VALUES ('TX-78731-AABSS:4182-4','RH: GUIDE TO TENNIS',TO_DATE('18-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE('21-JUN-2001:00:00:00', 'DD-MON-YYYY:HH24:MI:SS'),500) so that any TO_DATE is taken... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution problem

I'm writing my first script and I have all the other commands I'm using working properly, but I'm having one final issue with a sed. I've looked on the forums for some answers, which have been close but sed is quite confusing to me. My problem is that I have a file called CylinderAtom1.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1Aegis1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with substitution in sed??

Hi alll I have a file with this content ale,AAM,id2_1_2_1_1,23,2013-01-30,1,1 ale,BAND,id2_1_1_1_1,31,2013-01-28,1,1 ale,CAI,id2_1_1_1_1,23,2013-01-28,1,1 ale,CAI,id2_1_1_1_4,23,2013-01-28,1,1 ale,CAI,id2_1_2_1_1,23,2013-01-30,2,1 ale,NAST,id2_1_1_1_1,23,2013-01-29,1,1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with process substitution

i have tried process substitution, but run in some problems. this works: samtools view -h $SAMdir/$b.bam | htseq-count -m union -s no -q -t exon -i gene_id - $gtf > $b.count & but this not: htseq-count -m union -s no -q -t exon -i gene_id <(samtools view -h $SAMdir/$b.bam) $gtf >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dietmar13
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with use of the ? wildcard in regex substitution.

I'm trying to use Larry Wall's rename (prename) tool to rename multiple files: $ ls -1 blar.m4mp3 BLAH.mpmp3 bar foo.m4mp3 foo bar.mpmp3 I'm trying to fix the extensions so they're all .mp3: rename 's/m?mp3/mp3/' *mp3 I expect m?mp3 to match the extensions,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable substitution problem

Hi I am having a file like this ############################## j=1 while ] do temp_5=MODULE$j awk ' $1 ~ /'${!temp_5}'/ { do something }1' file1 > file2 ((j = j +1 )) done ################### Setting the variables like this (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable substitution problem

HI i was studying about variable substitution. below are info which was given in a online tutorial. ${parameter:-word}---> If parameter is null or unset, word is substituted for parameter. The value of parameter does not change. ${parameter:=word}---> If parameter is null or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)