Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting The efficiency between GREP and SED??? Post 302453012 by frank_rizzo on Monday 13th of September 2010 08:40:21 PM
Old 09-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg
SED is a string editor to change lines
just a minor correction. sed is a stream editor.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

efficiency..

how efficient is it, and how practical is it to call outside programs in a shell script (bash) for small tasks? for example, say i have a script that might preform many tasks, one of those tasks may require root access; rather than implementing inside the script a method to use su or sudo to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: code efficiency for gmtime

I have the following Perl snippet: # get datetime @dt = gmtime(); $strdate = 1900 + $dt . addleadingzero(++$dt) . addleadingzero($dt) . addleadingzero($dt) . addleadingzero($dt) . addleadingzero($dt); # write to file $outfile = $strdate . ".txt"; getstore($url, $outfile) or die "Error:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve program efficiency (awk)

Hi !! I've finished an awk exercise. Here it is: #!/bin/bash function calcula { # Imprimimos el mayor tamaño de fichero ls -l $1 | awk ' BEGIN { max = $5; # Inicializamos la variable que nos guardará el máximo con el tamaño del primer archivo } { if ($5 > max){ #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phass
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File or Folder Efficiency?

I've got this program set up so that it creates files whose unique names specify the jobs their contents describe. In order to retrieve the information inside those files, I have to do a "grep" and awk or sed to extract it. I've just assumed that making a directory with that unique name that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmark99
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About efficiency of parallel memory allocation

Hello, there. I'm a new beginner to Linux kernel and curious about its memory management. When multiple applications apply for memory space at the same time, how Linux kernel solve the resource contending problem for high performance? I have known that there is a buddy system for allocating and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackwall
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)