Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Terminal emulator from scratch. Post 302452851 by howdini on Monday 13th of September 2010 08:34:26 AM
Old 09-13-2010
Quote:
Virtual Terminal.

A lot of terminal behavior is actually handled by the terminal device, not the user-mode program. Things like sending SIGINT on ctrl-C, EOF on ctrl-D, and so forth are handled not by your code but by kernel code controlling the device. In particular if you want programs in your terminal to get a "yes" when they ask the kernel if they're in a terminal, you'll need to use a virtual terminal. I've written a short example when I was figuring out how to use virtual terminals myself.
I have tried to wrap my mind around this particular statement. Does this mean that no terminal based programs can be run successfully from a GUI based application without some special work on the calling command e.g 'system()', or does 'system()' handle this trickery for us. Please enlighten me.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to use terminal emulator???

hello, can any body tell how to use terminal emulator.... i want to check he serial port communication with the help of that terminal emmulator.... also tell me how to open terminal emmulator.....and how to configure it........and how to use it... I am using fedora core 6..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem from scratch

Hey, Had anyone tried with writing a new FS - file system ( whether its useful or not, that doesn't matter ) ? I tried one couple of years ago, but that was a fatal failure :( and can't continue working on it since then. :( Anybody got some experience with writing file system from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Tera Terminal Emulator

Hello Expert! :b: Question for you guys, Can anyone tell me how to use terminal emulator on Windows XP to view Solaris config? I have no idea on Solaris and the only thing I could do is to boot it up. Honestly, I have given a tasked to delete all the files and some necessary memory information... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katsloko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal Emulator

Hi, I was just wondering how to distinguish between the two terms: 1. Terminal emulator (vt100, vt220 and so on) 2. shell command line Then i decided to conclude myself that these 2 are very equivalent. am I right? this actually came to my mind when I was using my HP-UX terminal. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies
tcsetpgrp(3C)															     tcsetpgrp(3C)

NAME
tcsetpgrp() - set foreground process group id SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
If the calling process has a controlling terminal, sets the foreground process group ID associated with the terminal referenced by fildes to pgrp_id. The file associated with fildes must be the controlling terminal of the calling process and the controlling terminal must be currently associated with the session of the calling process. The value of pgrp_id must match a process group ID of a process in the same session as the calling process. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns zero. Otherwise, returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if any of the following conditions are encountered: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid file descriptor. [EINVAL] The value of the pgrp_id argument is not supported. [ENOTTY] The calling process does not have a controlling terminal, or the fildes is not the controlling terminal, or the con- trolling terminal is no longer associated with the session of the calling process. [EPERM] The value of pgrp_id is a supported value but does not match the process group ID of a process in the same session as the calling process. SEE ALSO
setpgid(2), setsid(2), tcgetpgrp(3C), thread_safety(5), termio(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tcsetpgrp(3C)