Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem reading into Variable using KSH Post 302452770 by proghack on Monday 13th of September 2010 03:49:18 AM
Old 09-13-2010
Problem reading into Variable using KSH

hi all,
i create 1 file.txt and inside it contain :
file1
file2
file3
file 4

then output that i want in my script:
Code:
$1=file1
$2=file2
$3=file3
$4=file4

but,when write in ksh script with:
Code:
while read folder
set - $( echo ${folder} )
  i=1
  while (($i <= $#))
          do
            eval echo var$i=\$$i

done<file.txt

the output i get :
Code:
$1=file1
$1=file2
$1=file3

Anybody can help me solve it?
Thx

---------- Post updated at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:45 PM ----------

hi sonu,
i new user at this forum..can i now where i create my own post?
thx

Last edited by pludi; 09-13-2010 at 04:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading an input file in KSH

First I' d like to say you guys are awesome. :) I have a word document that I cut and paste into Textpad and it removed all the fancy formatting which is fine with me. I WinScp'd it to the box and and called it inputfile.txt. Opened it in vi and don't see any special characters or stuff that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilla30066
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines in pairs from file in ksh

I need to read pairs of lines from a file and compare them. We can assume that the number of lines in the file is even. Can i do it in korn shell? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ytokar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from file in ksh

hi, it seems i can read using cat file | while read line but when i tried reading using while read line < myfile then the last line kept on being returned why? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with KSH script using scalar variable

Hi Guys, I'm having a hard time bringing out my desired output from my korn shell script. This particular statement from my script its seems not working perl -ne 'print if $_ lt ${date1}' . My complete script as shown below. Please help. Code: #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorneri
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading value of concatenation with ksh

hello all, I am trying to read the value of a concatenation, the following code is displaying $word1 $word2 I want to display village home Thanks for (( i=1; i<=2; i++ )) do word1='village' word2='home' con="$"word"$i" echo $con done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wydadi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the contents of the file and splitting using ksh

We're using a ksh script for installing one product. I've another config file, I'd need to read this configuration file from my main script Content of the Configuration file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittu129
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading xml tags from ksh script

Hi, I have an XMl file, below is sample: <TRANSFORMATION DESCRIPTION ="Created by:- " NAME ="LKP_FT_T_FILEK" OBJECTVERSION ="1" REUSABLE ="YES" TYPE ="Lookup Procedure" VERSIONNUMBER ="1"> </TRANSFORMATION> I need to read the tag, and if the tag is TRANSORMATION, i want to check the Type... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar_laveti
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading file and exclude in ksh

I have a text file containing some file names. And I've a directory containing files with different name. I want to do some operaration (deleting) on the files which are NOT listed on the text file. Im using KSH. PLEASE HELP !!!!! Urgent Help!!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshbabu
2 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -ex3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/lib/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64K bytes won't work. DIFF3(1)