Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replace multiple patterns in a string/filename Post 302452669 by Franklin52 on Sunday 12th of September 2010 01:03:16 PM
Old 09-12-2010
Try this:
Code:
var="FilenameABC With Spaces {tag} (tag}.ext"
NOTAG=${var%{*}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on sed (replace string without changing filename)

I have awhole bunch of files and I want to edit stringA with stringB without changing the filename. I have tried the following sed commands: sed "s/stringA/stringB/g" * This will print the correct results but does not actually save it with the new content of the file. when I do a cat on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoves
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and replace string in filename

Hi, I've a filename of this format: "XXX_XXX_TXT.TAR.AS". Need to change the name into this format: "XXX_XXX.TAR.AS". This file resides in a directory. I'm ok with using the find command to search and display it. Essentially I just need to replace the string "_TXT.TAR.AS" to ".TAR.AS". Is awk... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: chengwei
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing filename and grabbing specific string patterns

Hi guys...Wow I just composed a huge post and it got erased as I was logged out automatically Anyways I hope someone can help me out here. So the task I'm working on is like this I have a bunch of files that I care about sitting in a directory say $HOME/files Now my job is to go and loop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukasetsuna
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multiple patterns in a particular column only - efficient script

Hi Bigshots, I have a pattern file with two columns. I have another data file. If column 1 in the pattern file appears as the 4th column in the data file, I need to replace it (4th column of data file) with column 2 of the pattern file. If the pattern is found in any other column, it should not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple patterns together with retaining the text in between

Hi Team I have the following text in one of the file j1738-abc-system_id(in.value1)-2838 G566-deF-system_id(in.value2)-7489 I want to remove system_id(...) combination completely The output should look like this j1738-abc-in.value1-2838 G566-deF-in.value2-7489 Any help is appreciated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thierry Henry
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with multiple lines

Hello Guys, I need to replace a string with multiple lines. For eg:- ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU need to convert the above as below:- ABC,DEF, GHI1 GHI2 GHI3, JKL,MNO, PQR1 PQR2 PQR3, STU i have tried using code as:- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Replace Multiple patterns within a list_file with One in target_file

I'm facing a problem 1) I got a list_file intended to be used for inlace replacement like this Replacement pattern ; Matching patterns EXTRACT ___________________ toto ; tutu | tata | tonton | titi bobo ; bibi | baba | bubu | bebe etc. 14000 lines !!! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpvphd
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
M_TAG(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  M_TAG(9)

NAME
m_tag, m_tag_get, m_tag_free, m_tag_prepend, m_tag_unlink, m_tag_delete, m_tag_delete_chain, m_tag_delete_nonpersistent, m_tag_find, m_tag_copy, m_tag_copy_chain, m_tag_init, m_tag_first, m_tag_next -- mbuf tagging interfaces SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mbuf.h> struct m_tag * m_tag_get(int type, int len, int wait); void m_tag_free(struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_prepend(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_unlink(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_delete(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_delete_chain(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_delete_nonpersistent(struct mbuf *); struct m_tag * m_tag_find(struct mbuf *m, int type, struct m_tag *t); struct m_tag * m_tag_copy(struct m_tag *m); int m_tag_copy_chain(struct mbuf *to, struct mbuf *from); void m_tag_init(struct mbuf *m); struct m_tag * m_tag_first(struct mbuf *m); struct m_tag * m_tag_next(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); DESCRIPTION
The m_tag interface is used to ``tag'' mbufs. FUNCTIONS
m_tag_get(type, len, wait) Allocate an mbuf tag. type is one of the PACKET_TAG_ macros. len is the size of the data associated with the tag, in bytes. wait is either M_WAITOK or M_NOWAIT. m_tag_free(t) Free the mbuf tag t. m_tag_prepend(m, t) Prepend the mbuf tag t to the mbuf m. t will become the first tag of the mbuf m. When m is freed, t will also be freed. m_tag_unlink(m, t) Unlink the mbuf tag t from the mbuf m. m_tag_delete(m, t) The same as m_tag_unlink() followed by m_tag_free(). m_tag_delete_chain(m, t) Unlink and free mbuf tags beginning with the mbuf tag t from the mbuf m. If t is NULL, m_tag_delete_chain() unlinks and frees all mbuf tags associated with the mbuf m. m_tag_delete_nonpersistent(m) Unlink and free all non persistent tags associated with the mbuf m. m_tag_find(m, type, t) Find an mbuf tag with type type after the mbuf tag t in the tag chain associated with the mbuf m. If t is NULL, search from the first mbuf tag. If an mbuf tag is found, return a pointer to it. Otherwise return NULL. m_tag_copy(t) Copy an mbuf tag t. Return a new mbuf tag on success. Otherwise return NULL. m_tag_copy_chain(to, from) Copy all mbuf tags associated with the mbuf from to the mbuf to. If to already has any mbuf tags, they will be unlinked and freed beforehand. Return 1 on success. Otherwise return 0. m_tag_init(m) Initialize mbuf tag chain of the mbuf m. m_tag_first(m) Return the first mbuf tag associated with the mbuf m. Return NULL if no mbuf tags are found. m_tag_next(m, t) Return the next mbuf tag after t associated with the mbuf m. Return NULL if t is the last tag in the chain. CODE REFERENCES
The mbuf tagging interfaces are implemented within the file sys/kern/uipc_mbuf2.c. The PACKET_TAG_ macros are defined in the file sys/sys/mbuf.h. SEE ALSO
intro(9), malloc(9), mbuf(9) BUGS
The semantics of the term "persistent tag" are vague. BSD
September 7, 2004 BSD