Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting looking for expert sed/script help for translation/substitution Post 302452634 by konsolebox on Sunday 12th of September 2010 04:43:52 AM
Old 09-12-2010
I think it's best to use Perl and XML::Simple for that. Awk has limitations with non-multi-line need-parser-type based data.

---------- Post updated at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:42 PM ----------

I'm not also sure but maybe this can also help: xmlsh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: language translation of a program

Hi people! I'm a bit noob at sed so I ask you for some help :( I'm trying to automatically translate some files of a program, which has some lines of this style: $string = 'A text line'; For example in this line: $string = 'The date entered: <strong>$a</strong> does not correspond... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdmiguel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi I am trying to do a text insertion in a text file at a particular line number in a shell script. However its not working. sed '122i\ > for j in \`echo $MyList\` ; do perl -pi -e\'s#01\/01\/2009#01\/01\/2011#\' $j ; done' $HOME/MyScript.ksh The Actual line to be inserted at line 122... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Using sed I'm trying to replace 'string' with ']' while retaining case and ignoring words with 'string' in it along with additional characters like 'strings' and those which already contain the ] wrapper. I'm hoping to do it with sed and the right expression, if possible. Example: Apple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom.lee
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed substitution

I'm a noob to unix, and I have a line of data like the following: title=Boston|tcolor=green|desc=Large city in New England|url=www.boston.com Is there a way to change a field value with sed substitution? (i.e. change tcolor=green to tcolor=blue) I figured out: sed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: stabby
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution with sed

I have a file with some numbers having single quotes around them which I want to remove. i.e. '923930' -> 23930 If it can be done without using sed thats fine. I have tried with sed but can't think how to replace this pattern on only the numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

How can you use sed with a line of code that reads: 67899:Bill:Williams:Maple Dr.:45908600 Let us say we want to replace Maple Dr. with Oak St. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution in a script

Hi I am trying to do the following in a script find a string and add in a block of text two lines above on the command line this works fine #/usr/bin/cat /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf_subnet | /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -n -e '1h;1\!H;${;g;s/}.*#END of 10.42.33.0/#START of RANGE $dstart\:option... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding TCL expert SSH script

Hi, I am in learning curve in the Tcl/expert language. I have the following program for ssh #!/dsbutest/autotest/ats_current/bin/expect set UserID "user" set Password "key" set remotehost spawn ssh -l $UserID $remotehost expect -re ".*" send "yes\r" #this one adding the RSA key... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mathiaga
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)