Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting the lines at the end of the file. Post 302452368 by shashi792 on Friday 10th of September 2010 06:55:47 AM
Old 09-10-2010
@Franklin,
I did not understand your question.

I have these problem when i am streaming my text file to a C++ array.

rite now i am manually going to the line 15 and at the end of the line i'm using delete so that the last empty line gets deleted .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Deleting Junks at the end of each line in a file

Is there any way to delete the Junk Characters(Invalid Characters like ^,',",),(,&,# etc.,) at the end of each record in a file? I want to do this using a single line script. Thanks to all in advance!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave_nithis
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting end of line $ character in file

Hi, I've got a file where in the middle of the record is a $ end of line character, visible only when I open the file in vi and do :set list. How to I get rid of the character in the middle and keep it at the end. The middle $ character always appears after SW, so that can be used to tag it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting word from this point to end of file in VI

Hi All i need to delete a recurring word from point "n" till end of the file. there are other words in this file so i cannot use `dG`, can anyone help me out? Kind regards Brian (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank lines ONLY at the end of the file

Hi Guys, I have a quetion which was already discussed in the forum, but for some reason all approches suggested fail for me. I have a file which have blank lines at the body of the text as well as at the end. I need to delete ONLY blank lines at the end. Unfortunatly the approach below does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the part of the file(overwrite) using start and end point

here is the contents of bigfile.sql CREATE TABLE `Table11` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL , `entityName` enum('Lines','EndUsers') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL, `parentAllianceMigrationProjectId` varchar(255) NOT NULL ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=2000 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
30 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)