Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem reading file in while/read loop Post 302452344 by Bashingaway on Friday 10th of September 2010 04:25:22 AM
Old 09-10-2010
Hi Guys

Klashxx , that's still piping from a file surely? It doesn't work I'm afraid.

Franklin.

I tried with the variables on INBLACKLIST being either space separated or newline separated and it doesn't work either way, this could be because it's an ASH rather then BASH shell? (embedded device using busybox).

either way the `for BLACKLIST in "$INBLACKLIST"` is reading in all the values in $INBLACKLIST (either on one line or multiple lines as separated).

I have put an echo "$BLACKLIST" immediately after the `for BLACKLIST....` to check.

Any other ideas please chaps?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from within the loop --std i/p problem

i have a teat file having data like one 12/3 two 23/09 three 12/12 now from another script i want to read one line at a time ,cut field one and two in two separate variable ,compare field1 with another variable but outside the loop .If i found a match i want to take from user the value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in reading inside a while loop

I am not able to read inside a while though i get the message "inside read" the cursor doesnt prompt from the console cat file | while read ln_new_engine_dirs do echo "inside $ln_new_engine_dirs" if then read nn echo "inside read" fi done Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"while read ..." loop exiting after reading only one record

Greeting, The following script completes after reading only one record from the input file that contains many records. I commented out the "ssh" and get what I expect, an echo of all the records in the input.txt file. Is ssh killing the file handle? On the box "uname -a" gives "SunOS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to pause a while loop while reading from a file

Hi, I am building a script to grep for a string in all the files from a folder and display the results. I am reading the files one by one by placing the names in other file using while loop my code is as below while read inp do chk=`grep -c "$str" $pth/$inp` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file using while loop not reading last line

I have written a script to read the file line by line. It is reading and printing the lines. But it is coming out of loop before reading last line. So I am not able to print last line. How do I solve it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop is not reading tabs from the file

Hi, I am on HP-UX and K shell. When I am using while/for loop for reading a file. It is working fine but not reading tabs: Suppose, if the line is: ; ;COMP; ; ; ; then loop is reading as ; ;COMP; ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing \r and \n during reading file through while loop

Hi, I am writing in a file through cat command. This file will contain the path of file along with filename. e.g. /home/user/folder1/folder2/filename.txt There might be very large number of this path in same file like say 140 when I try to run while command: while read -r file do //command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pulkit Lall
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with while loop reading every line of a text file

Hello, I'm using RHEL 5.1 with bash. How to handle "read" inside while loop reading every line? Please see below: # cat /tmp/passwd_sample CARRJ12:qVSn4ja4mFA72,..:20021:125:JULIAN CARR:/home/everyone:/bin/bash HERCOT01:NK/3j2ZB4ZC7Q:20022:125:TOM HERCOCK:/home/everyone:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential Reading from two file in a loop

Hello All, I have two files with me file1.txt and file2.txt file1.txt has: 333 222 111 file2.txt has ccc bbb aaa ccc is related to 333 only, bbb is related to 222 only and aaa is related to 111 only. I have to get the values from each of the file and pass them in the URL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
3 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)