Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users HOWTO plug server into infrastructure Post 302452298 by zaxxon on Friday 10th of September 2010 12:28:31 AM
Old 09-10-2010
As I come from other OS'es than Solaris, LCAP and IPMP looks very similar to me. It is both a form of Etherchannel, Bonding, Trunking or whatever names are being used for it when to have some kind of network failover and/or load balancing.

Of course whatever name you take, whatever OS you take, you want some redundancy for your network connect in case an adapter, a switch or anything else on the way to the network fails.

On Linux you usually take bonding. On Solaris I guess it is IPMP. Make sure you have each network adapter, that is part of such a bonding/IPMP, being connected to two different switches for redundancy.

With 2 adapters on your Linux box there is not much choice anyway where to bind and connect what. For the 4 adapters on your Solaris box(es), you'll have to decide if you split/bind those. Depending on the case that you might need more bandwith, you can maybe have something like:

A "bonded" device that contains of all 4 adapters, where 3 go to a switch A as primary connection being all active for bandwith purpose and having 1 backup adapter to another switch in case those 3 fail. But for details what is possible with IPMP, check the documentations or ask in the Solaris sub forum maybe.
You can also use 1x2 "bonded" Adapters for production network and the other pair for backup (in terms of data network backup) purposes. Up to you.

Edit:
Forgot to say, that your switches etc. have to support trunking/etherchannel etc.
For Jumbo Frames it is just a matter, if your NICs support it and also the switches. You will also have to try out if you have any advantage of it, I guess.

Last edited by zaxxon; 09-10-2010 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: added information

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

USB Hot Plug Mandrake 9.0

I recently installed Mandrake Linux 9.0 on my intel machine, with a view to migrating completely from Windows within the next few months. First I need to get things working. My modem, sound card, scanner and printer all fail to work. This isn't going to put me off because I love the interface... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saabir
1 Replies

2. AIX

Wrap Plug Test

Can someone show me on how to use DIAG command in doing a wrap plug test for fcs0 (FC Adapter)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plug in for syn on

I am using vim version 7.1.314.It don't have syn on.Is there any plug in available for syn on or I have to update the version. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
2 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

Infrastructure Testing

Hi Admins, could anyone sahre the technologies and data points involed in "Infrastructure Testing" and what is the role of system admin in this testing. regards Tarun. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun_nix
2 Replies
MERGELOGS(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MERGELOGS(1)

NAME
mergelogs - merge and consolidate web server logs SYNOPSIS
mergelogs -p penlog [-c] [-d] [-j jitter] [-t seconds] server1:logfile1 [server2:logfile2 ...] EXAMPLES
mergelogs -p pen.log 10.0.0.1:access_log.1 10.0.0.2:access_log.2 mergelogs -p pen.log 10.0.18.6:access_log-10.0.18.6 10.0.18.8:access_log-10.0.18.8 DESCRIPTION
When pen is used to load balance web servers, the web server log file lists all accesses as coming from the host running pen. This makes it more difficult to analyze the log file. To solve this, pen creates its own log file, which contains the real client address, the time of the access, the target server address and the first few bytes of the requests. Mergelogs reads pen's log file and the log files of all load balanced web servers, compares each entry and creates a combined log file that looks as if the web server cluster were a single physical server. Client addresses are replaced with the real client addresses. In the event that no matching client address can be found in the pen log, the server address is used instead. This should never happen, and is meant as a debugging tool. A large number of these indicates that the server system date needs to be set, or that the jitter value is too small. You probably don't want to use this program. Penlog is a much more elegant and functional solution. OPTIONS
-c Do not cache pen log entries. The use of this option is not recommended, as it will make mergelogs search the entire pen log for every line in the web server logs. -d Debugging (repeat for more). -p penlog Log file from pen. -j jitter Jitter in seconds (default 600). This is the maximum variation in time stamps in the pen and web server log files. A smaller value will result in a smaller pen log cache and faster processing, at the risk of missed entries. -t seconds The difference in seconds between the time on the pen server and UTC. For example, this is 7200 (two hours) in Finland. server:logfile Web server address and name of log file. AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Ulric Eriksson, <ulric@siag.nu>. SEE ALSO
pen(1), webresolve(1), penlog(1), penlogd(1) LOCAL MERGELOGS(1)