Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to filter a table by two columns Post 302452196 by felipe.vinturin on Thursday 9th of September 2010 02:03:55 PM
Old 09-09-2010
Another way, but with two commands:
Code:
# myFile="TestFile.txt"
# numDiff=`cut -f1 -d" " "${myFile}" | sort | uniq | wc -l`
# sort -n -k2 "${myFile}" | head -"${numDiff}"
Green 2
Red 4
Black 5

## Or in one!
# sort -n -k2 "${myFile}" | head -`cut -f1 -d" " "${myFile}" | sort | uniq | wc -l`

Regards!
This User Gave Thanks to felipe.vinturin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Comparing the common columns of a table in two files

Hi, I have two text files.The first and the 2nd file have data in the same format For e.g. The first file has BOOKS COUNT: 40 BOOKS AUTHOR1 SUM:1018 MAX:47 MIN:1 AVG:25.45 BOOKS AUTHOR3 SUM:181 MAX:48 MIN:3 AVG:18.1 Note:Read it as Table columnname sum(column) max(column) min(column)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to insert two columns (or two feilds) at the begining of the table

Hey guys/gals, So here is what i'm starting with...its a Solaris patch diag output. bash-3.0# pca -l Using /var/tmp/patchdiag.xref from Oct/20/08 Host: seiftsx4140 (SunOS 5.10/Generic_127128-11/i386/i86pc) List: missing Patch IR CR RSB Age Synopsis ------ -- - -- --- ---... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
3 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a table like format with rows and columns

I have few files which have two columns in each. like e2 1 1 2694 2 4 2485 3 2 2098 5 1 2079 6 5 2022 9 4 1734 11 5 1585 13 2 1461 18 1 1092 21 2 1019 24 1 915 25 3 907 27 1 891 28 3 890 34 1 748 39 1 700 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamuju
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filter by occurence of at least two columns

Hi, Using AWK script I want to pick those rows that has AT LEAST TWO columns EACH has a count >=3. i.e. two conditions: at least two columns, each of which has a count at least 3. There must be a simple way to do this job, but could not figure it out by myself. Input file (thousand of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export table of 50 columns

Dear all, I have a big table of 50 columns and more then 100, 000 rows in mysql. Could you please help me that how I can export it as .csv or . txt that I can open it in MS excel????? OR how can I export the specific columns of the table??? Thanks AAWT (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAWT
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter rows from table

Hi , I need to filter input file according to following All rows with the following conditions should be removed 1) If in a row, the number of 'N's starting col 2 exceeds 2 (3 or more) OR 2) If a row is duplicated with the same value, starting col 2, A value 'N' is considered missing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filter by columns of file csv

Hi, I would like extract some lines from file csv using awk , below the example: I have the file test.csv with in content below. FLUSSO;COD;DATA_LAV;ESITO ULL;78;17/09/2013;OL ULL;45;05/09/2013;Apertura NP;45;13/09/2013;Riallineamento ULLNP;78;17/09/2013;OL NPG;14;12/09/2013;AperturaTK... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giankan
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - Filter columns in text file and adding new column

Hello, I am very now to this, hope you can help, I am looking into editing a file in Solaris, with dinamic collums (lenght varies) and I need 2 things to be made, the fist is to filter the first column and third column from the file bellow file.txt, and create a new file with the 2 filtered... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpbastos
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Data to MySQL Table Columns

I have two scripts, each script reads an individual data file and copies specific lines of data and sends to MySQL table. Only difference is, each script sends data to a separate column on the same DB. I want to use one script to populate DB table and have data look horizontal, with no overlapping.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdminRialto
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filter table of different length

Dear Forum, I have to filter (e.g. PF=0.8) a text file according to some measured and recorded values for different fields (sensor). The files can be large and the recorded data points (ID) could differ in length. I have worked out a solution but it is very messy and not flexible. Does anybody... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GDC
4 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [ -udc [ +n ] [ -n ] ] [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Uniq reads the input file comparing adjacent lines. In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are removed; the remainder is written on the output file. Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found; see sort(1). If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output. The -d option specifies that one copy of just the repeated lines is to be written. The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs. The -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison: -n The first n fields together with any blanks before each are ignored. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab charac- ters separated by tabs and spaces from its neighbors. +n The first n characters are ignored. Fields are skipped before characters. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1) 7th Edition April 29, 1985 UNIQ(1)