Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting generating the variable list for WHILE READ statement at runtime Post 302452075 by zaxxon on Thursday 9th of September 2010 05:12:14 AM
Old 09-09-2010
But a variable number of fields means that they are empty values in between :: like:
Code:
val1:val2:val3:val4
val1:val2::val4
val1:val2:val3:
:val2:val3:val4

Or is it like
Code:
val1:val2:val3:val4
val1:val2:val4
val1:val2:val3
val2:val3:val4

?

Because in the 1st case this would be no problem to read in. You'd just have empty variables while reading in, like in the infile. Second file would not be good to parse at all imho.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a list of choices in a menu

Hello all, I have the below script and I'm a little stuck on the best way to continue. Essentially I'm creating a text file (systems.txt) with a list of servers in it by hostname. Then I would like to echo a menu with each hostname and a number to use to pick it from the list. It's somehow... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read statement not working in a script

I have a script consisting of certain functions whose input is a file at same location. In that file i have written the name of anothe file at same location. The third file contains a word which act as a function in the first script.Let me give an example i have a scrip file say 1.sh in which i am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitdua
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from user inside a while statement

Hi there I want to ask to a user something about each line of a file. This is my code: #cat test.txt first line second line third line #cat test.sh #!/bin/ksh read_write () { echo "Do you want to print the line (YES/NO)?\n" read TEST case ${TEST} in YES) return 0;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirkha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read SQL statement in Script

Hi Guys.. need some urgent help... I am stuck in something badly I need to write a script which would read a sql statement (which might be a join/inner join/select/sub select etc. ) I need to read that sql statement ... and in the output I want all the table names and columns (doesn't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using read to enter the input at runtime

Hi I am stucked in the below script .I want to input with yes/no from the user and then execute the code inside if but it is not working .I just need the logic as where I am wrong so that i can use the same in my work . then echo "Hi All" fi ]. Please suugest . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read statement not working

hello guys, i am having the below piece of code error () { echo"Press y /n" read ans case $ans in y) main;; n) exit esac } In the abve code, read statement is not working i.e not waiting for user to enter input. ,i tested exit status its 1. could anyone help me to do this ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FORTRAN read statement

Hi, I've been having trouble figuring out what the following read statement is doing. DO I = 1, natom k = 3 * (i - 1) + 1 READ(8,*) AtNum(I), (X_2(J),J=k,k+2) END DO The part I don't understand is: (X_2(J),J=k,k+2) the file it is reading is simply a set of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: butson
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Variable At Runtime

Hi, I am trying to set a variable that has time the format desired. And my intention is to echo variable (instead of actual date command) everytime I like to echo date. Please take a look at below code. $NOW='' echo $NOW After 5 minutes $echo $NOW Issue here is , I am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Runtime variable extraction

Hi There, var1=value1 var2=value2 var3=value3 for (( i=1; i<4; i++ )) do temp=var$i echo "$temp" done OUTPUT var1 var2 var3 I want the output to be value1 value2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagpreetc
5 Replies
NCFLINT(1)						      General Commands Manual							NCFLINT(1)

NAME
ncflint - netCDF File Interpolator SYNTAX
ncflint [-3] [-4] [-6] [-A] [-C] [-c] [-D dbg] [-d dim,[ min][,[ max]]] [-F] [-h] [-i var,val3][-L dfl_lvl][-l path] [-O] [-p path] [-R] [-r] [-t thr_nbr] [-v var[,...]] [-w wgt[, wgt2]] [-X box] [-x] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
ncflint creates an output file that is a linear combination of the input files. This linear combination can be a weighted average, a nor- malized weighted average, or an interpolation of the input files. Coordinate variables are not acted upon in any case, they are simply copied from file_1. There are two conceptually distinct methods of using ncflint. The first method is to specify the weight each input file is to have in the output file. In this method, the value val3 of a variable in the output file file_3 is determined from its values val1 and val2 in the two input files according to wgt1*val1+wgt2*val2 Here at least wgt1, and, optionally, wgt2, are specified on the command line with the -w (or --weight or --wgt_var ) switch. If only IR wgt1 is specified then wgt2 is automatically computed as wgt2=1-wgt1. Note that weights larger than 1 are allowed. Thus it is possible to specify wgt1=2 and wgt2=-3. One can use this functionality to multiply all the values in a given file by a constant. The second method of using ncflint is to specify the interpolation option with -i (or with the --ntp or --interpolate long options). This is really the inverse of the first method in the following sense. When the user specifies the weights directly, ncflint has no work to do besides multiplying the input values by their respective weights and adding the results together to produce the output values. This assumes it is the weights that are known a priori. In another class of cases it is the "arrival value" (i.e., val3 ) of a particular vari- able var that is known a priori. In this case, the implied weights can always be inferred by examining the values of var in the input files. This results in one equation in two unknowns, wgt1 and wgt2: val3=wgt1*val1+wgt2*val2. Unique determination of the weights requires imposing the additional constraint of normalization on the weights: wgt1+wgt2=1. Thus, to use the interpolation option, the user specifies var and val3 with the -i option. ncflint will compute wgt1 and wgt2, and use these weights on all variables to generate the output file. Although var may have any number of dimensions in the input files, it must represent a single, scalar value. Thus any dimensions associated with var must be "degenerate", i.e., of size one. If neither -i nor -w is specified on the command line, ncflint defaults to weighting each input file equally in the output file. This is equivalent to specifying -w0.5 or -w0.5,0.5. Attempting to specify both .BR -i and -w methods in the same command is an error. ncflint is programmed not to interpolate variables of type NC_CHAR and NC_BYTE. This behavior is hardcoded. AUTHOR
NCO manual pages written by Charlie Zender and Brian Mays. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://sf.net/bugs/?group_id=3331>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Charlie Zender This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for NCO is maintained as a Texinfo manual called the NCO User's Guide. Because NCO is mathematical in nature, the documentation includes TeX-intensive portions not viewable on character-based displays. Hence the only complete and authoritative versions of the NCO User's Guide are the PDF (recommended), DVI, and Postscript versions at <http://nco.sf.net/nco.pdf>, <http://nco.sf.net/nco.dvi>, and <http://nco.sf.net/nco.ps>, respectively. HTML and XML versions are available at <http://nco.sf.net/nco.html> and <http://nco.sf.net/nco.xml>, respectively. If the info and NCO programs are properly installed at your site, the command info nco should give you access to the complete manual, except for the TeX-intensive portions. HOMEPAGE
The NCO homepage at <http://nco.sf.net> contains more information. NCFLINT(1)