Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gcc for arm process
Top Forums Programming gcc for arm process Post 302451890 by Corona688 on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 11:42:17 AM
Old 09-08-2010
It can't compile for different architectures unless you have a version configured to do so. For the 99% of people who don't need them, the code and headers to compile ARM, SPARC, MIPS, and other foreign binaries would be a pointless waste of space. When I tried developing for OpenWRT, their CVS repository installed it's own whole dedicated compiler!

Even if configured for ARM it probably won't be producing binaries quite the way you want them -- compile an ARM executable under linux and you'll get an ARM Linux executable, not one for a foreign OS, because you compiled it with linux headers...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Installing gcc - recieve error message gcc : cannot execute

AIM- Install Oracle 11g on Solaris using VMWare Steps 1.Logged on as root 2.Created subfolders à /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/bin/gcc 3.Downloaded gcc & libiconv & unzipped them on my harddrive & burnt them on CD 4.Copied files from CD to /usr/local/bin/gcc 5.Terminal (root) à pkgadd -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ackers
8 Replies

2. Linux

Kernel internals for ARM

Hi, Does anybody have a good pointer on Linux kernel internals for ARM architecture? I can locate plenty for x86 but since ARM is RISC I think there would be subtle changes. So if somebody has a knowledge of good document on Linux Kernel internals for ARM or even a comparative study of kernel on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

3. Programming

When a process is down - how to get a coredump in arm board?

Running a multi-threaded program in my arm board one day or more ,The process down . In order to get a coredump to analysis of the stack , . I use commands ulimited -c unlimited . but when the process down . no coredump But I write a test #include <stdio.h> int main(void){ ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: aobai
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gcc arm compiler

I want to find the ARM assembly language for my sample C code using gcc .I had gcc compiler ,whether it is enough for it or i need to download gcc arm cross compiler.If necessary ,how it configured?I am using fedora (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
0 Replies

5. Fedora

gcc arm compiler

think only compile is required I wish to compile a sample code int main() { int a=5,b=8,c; c=a+b; } compile using gcc -Wall -g -march=arm922t main.c -o hello I got an error :bad value(arm922t) for -march=switch instead of using march i used mcpu options ,the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
1 Replies

6. Programming

Cygwin + insight + arm utils

Hello all, I have just installed cygwin and arm tools to do some arm assembly programming, but when i try to initialize insight with arm-elf-insight xxx.xxx I receive the message that arm-elf-insight cannot find cygncurses-8.dll. In my lib directory I have cygncurses-10.dll, but not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiox
0 Replies

7. Programming

Running c code in ARM QEMU

I created and Compiled a C program to run in QEMU for ARM. When I run the program using the command #qemu-arm -L /home/arm-2010.09/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc ./test it gives me the following error: If 'qemu-arm' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

8. Programming

IDE's for the ARM processor on Linux

Hello everyone. I am running Debian on an ARM7 Device (aka my android phone). Everything is great. Works well. I would love to use it for Development. Mainly my interests are in Web Development, and Java development. So far the only useful IDE for debian arm is Netbeans. Which is pretty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CDevelop
0 Replies

9. BSD

Move from Solaris: ARM 64 Bit

Hey all I've been thinking of switching my x86 Solaris out with ARM 64 Bit and FreeBSD. Now i know i can migrate my striped-mirror ZFS to FreeBSD. So to get to the point. I take advantage of Kernel Zones on Solaris (Routing, Firewall, Web Access and Web Page etc.) and from time to time need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reclzz
1 Replies
SETARCH(8)						       System Administration							SETARCH(8)

NAME
setarch - change reported architecture in new program environment and set personality flags SYNOPSIS
setarch arch [options] [program [argument...]] arch [options] [program [argument...]] setarch --list|-h|-V DESCRIPTION
setarch currently only affects the output of uname -m. For example, on an AMD64 system, running setarch i386 program will cause program to see i686 instead of x86_64 as the machine type. It also allows to set various personality options. The default program is /bin/sh. OPTIONS
--list List the architectures that setarch knows about. Whether setarch can actually set each of these architectures depends on the run- ning kernel. --uname-2.6 Causes the program to see a kernel version number beginning with 2.6. Turns on UNAME26. -v, --verbose Be verbose. -3, --3gb Specifies program should use a maximum of 3GB of address space. Supported on x86. Turns on ADDR_LIMIT_3GB. --4gb This option has no effect. It is retained for backward compatibility only, and may be removed in future releases. -B, --32bit Limit the address space to 32 bits to emulate hardware. Supported on ARM and Alpha. Turns on ADDR_LIMIT_32BIT. -F, --fdpic-funcptrs Treat user-space function pointers to signal handlers as pointers to address descriptors. This option has no effect on architec- tures that do not support FDPIC ELF binaries. In kernel v4.14 support is limited to ARM, Blackfin, Fujitsu FR-V, and SuperH CPU architectures. -I, --short-inode Obsolete bug emulation flag. Turns on SHORT_INODE. -L, --addr-compat-layout Provide legacy virtual address space layout. Use when the program binary does not have PT_GNU_STACK ELF header. Turns on ADDR_COM- PAT_LAYOUT. -R, --addr-no-randomize Disables randomization of the virtual address space. Turns on ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE. -S, --whole-seconds Obsolete bug emulation flag. Turns on WHOLE_SECONDS. -T, --sticky-timeouts This makes select(2), pselect(2), and ppoll(2) system calls preserve the timeout value instead of modifying it to reflect the amount of time not slept when interrupted by a signal handler. Use when program depends on this behavior. For more details see the time- out description in select(2) manual page. Turns on STICKY_TIMEOUTS. -X, --read-implies-exec If this is set then mmap(3) PROT_READ will also add the PROT_EXEC bit - as expected by legacy x86 binaries. Notice that the ELF loader will automatically set this bit when it encounters a legacy binary. Turns on READ_IMPLIES_EXEC. -Z, --mmap-page-zero SVr4 bug emulation that will set mmap(3) page zero as read-only. Use when program depends on this behavior, and the source code is not available to be fixed. Turns on MMAP_PAGE_ZERO. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
setarch ppc32 rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm setarch ppc32 -v -vL3 rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild bar.src.rpm setarch ppc32 --32bit rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm AUTHOR
Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> Jindrich Novy <jnovy@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
personality(2), select(2) AVAILABILITY
The setarch command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux December 2017 SETARCH(8)