Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Result of the grep is not storred correctly into the variable Post 302451696 by renjithv on Tuesday 7th of September 2010 07:32:48 PM
Old 09-07-2010
Thanks tyler_durden!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable with $ do not show correctly

Hey guys i need help i have a script to push a password to a remote server the only problem is the $ENCRYPT variable has $'s in it (from the encrypted password in the shadow file) and they drop out when apending to the shadow file via the usermod command so $1$Q/6a08n$EoAcBuR/YnoCQC shows up as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not working correctly.

Hi, I have a script where I am trying to set a local variable using the following, MYVAR="$NAME"_"$NAME2".txt where say, NAME = one NAME2 = two so I want the output one_two.txt but what I am getting is, two.txt basically the $NAME2 is overwriting, what am I doing wrong? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walsh_j
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is grep being used correctly?

My goal is to find files contain the "signal 11" string in a specific directory. I need the file details followed by the string. I wrote a script to test out and play with Shell command since it's my first time to write a Shell script. Let me cut the story short... this command line: if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai0899
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep -A switch not working correctly with -m

egrep -A 7 -m 2 -h 'Date:|Time:' *.html this is showing only 2 line after the context of the 2nd found match. Is this a bug in grep? egrep -A 7 -m 2 -h 'Time:' *.html - this works correctly (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zer0
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/awk not getting the message correctly

I have a script which will take two file as the inputs and take the Value in file1 and search in file2 and give the output in Outputfile. #!/bin/sh #. ${HOME}/crossworlds/bin/CWSharedEnv.sh FILE1=$1 FILE2=$2 for Var in $(cat $FILE1);do echo $Var grep -i "$Var" $FILE2 done > Outputfile I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwapnaNaidu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I grep a Date correctly

I am still a novice at this stuff, but I have searched everywhere and I cant seem to get this working. I am using a database program that I need to pull information from. The command I am using is the following. search /project | grep "date -v -1m "+%Y-%m"" This returns no results, however... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trezero
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Regexp not working correctly

Consider the following code: grep -o -e '^STEAM_::\d+$' workfile3.tmp A sample format of a valid string for the regexp would be: STEAM_0:1:12345678 Here is an example line from the workfile3.tmp file: 465:L 01/02/2012 - 00:05:33: "Spartan1-1-7<8><STEAM_0:1:47539638><>" connected No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store result of grep into a variable?

In a directory i have a file *output* whose contents are changing for every simulation. zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep g o/p: trace file is Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz I want to extract "Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz" from the above result into a variable. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD