Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Emulate ksh's FPATH variable in bash Post 302451686 by drl on Tuesday 7th of September 2010 06:38:39 PM
Old 09-07-2010
Hi.

I have a version of this, and it worked correctly as far as I could tell, but it may have been a later version:
Code:
# The first cut of this was by Bill Trost, trost@reed.bitnet.
# The second cut came from Chet Ramey, chet@ins.CWRU.Edu
# The third cut came from Mark Kennedy, mtk@ny.ubs.com.  1998/08/25

cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using FPATH and PATH together

If you specify the same directory in your FPATH and PATH variables, and you type in a "command" (e.g. hello), and there exists a file called hello in that common directory, will the shell first attempt to interpret this file as a function, and failing this, then re-attempt to interpret it as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeMented
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Libraries using FPATH

At our site we have a function library that contains several functions that are called via FPATH. We're using ksh and have environment variables in our .profile that link us to these as follows: export CIRC_LIB=/apps/usr/circ/circ_lib export FPATH=$CIRC_LIB My questions are: When are the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to emulate ls -lh?

Does anyone have a script they would like to share that emulates "ls -lh" in ksh on Solaris 8? Yeah, I know. Real men don't need that wimpy "h." Well, I'm a wimp. ;) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash preferred or ksh with bash features

I'm a user on a fairly locked down sys V server. By default, I have ksh set as my default shell. I added to my .profile: bash -o vi so when I login, it goes into bash so I can take advantage of tab completion and use the up key to bring up previous commands. However, whenever I want to exit, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to emulate ^S/^Q from a script

Hi, I wrote a little menu script that searches through another script you specify and displays step-names and next to it the text of the step. The scripts are converted JCL from mainframe. It alows you to select steps you want and will then create a new script which includes only the steps you... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AliceD
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable scop ksh vs bash

I am not clear why the cnt variable is not increased in the script below: #!/bin/bash INPF=${1:-a.txt}; KWDS=${2:-lst} cnt=0; grep -v '^#' $KWDS | while read kwd; do grep -q $kwd $INPF; if ; then echo Found; ((cnt=cnt+1)); fi... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash FPATH code update

In this post at 302451613-post2.html the link to the code comes up not found. The thread is closed, so I was unable to ask on the thread itself and I do not have enough posts yet to send a private message (or write out a proper html link). Does the author (jim mcanamara) have an updated link? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewpersico
2 Replies
readonly(1)							   User Commands						       readonly(1)

NAME
readonly - shell built-in function to protect the value of the given variable from reassignment SYNOPSIS
sh readonly [name...] ksh **readonly [ name [ = value]...] **readonly -p DESCRIPTION
sh The given names are marked readonly and the values of the these names may not be changed by subsequent assignment. If no arguments are given, a list of all readonly names is printed. ksh The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. When -p is specified, readonly writes to the standard output the names and values of all read-only variables, in the following format: "readonly %s=%s ", name, value if name is set, and: "readonly $s ", name if name is unset. The shell formats the output, including the proper use of quoting, so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell as commands that achieve the same value and readonly attribute-setting results in a shell execution environment in which: 1. Variables with values set at the time they were output do not have the readonly attribute set. 2. Variables that were unset at the time they were output do not have a value at the time at which the saved output is reinput to the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two ** (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 readonly(1)