Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script to rename file,error Post 302451424 by frank_rizzo on Monday 6th of September 2010 11:24:16 PM
Old 09-07-2010
mv is not the rename function in Perl. use rename()

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Perl to Rename File

Hi, Can someone help me with a perl file to rename some files please? I can do it with regular command line using the below code, but I need to include this in another script and the other script is perl. I know nothing of perl. for file in C* do newfilename=`echo $file | cut -c8-21-`... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that will move a file to a directory with the same name and then rename that file

Hello all. I am new to this forum (and somewhat new to UNIX / LINUX - I started using ubuntu 1 year ago).:b: I have the following problem that I have not been able to figure out how to take care of and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.:confused: I have all of my music stored in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to rename zip-files with name of file

Hi, I'm desperately in search for a solution of the following problem: I have a directory full of zip-files. All these zip-files contain a single file with a name that should be used for the name of the zip-container. Anybody a good idea. I'm an absolute beginner in shell scripting - so please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_a17
7 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

File rename error

hi im new for unix, when i try to rename the file im getting error $ mv -9file.jpg 9file.jpg error is mv: invalid option --"9" Try 'mv --help' for more information. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
10 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Solved] Unable to rename file in ftp server .Net:FTP perl

Hello All, I am trying to connect to ftp server and get the files. Also i need to rename the file in other ftp dir. rename method is not allowing me to rename the file in other dir. When i tried copy command by using net::FTP:FILE then perl says it is not installed. Can some body help me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command / script to partially rename file

Hi I have numerous files names product_host_result_B1000842.txt product_host_result_B1000847.txt product_host_result_C1000842.txt product_host_result_C1000848.txt etc. I need them renamed so that the 'product_host_result' becomes 'output_product_host' but the rest of the filename is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading variable from a file in perl script

I have a file abc.ini and declared many variables in that file, one of the variable(DBname) value I am trying to read in my perl script but getting error. File abc.ini content # database name DBname =UATBOX my $ex_stat; my $cmd_output; $ex_stat = "\Qawk '/^DBname/{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file rename script

Hello, I'm new in this shell scripting subject, I´m looking forward for someone to give me a hint or advice as to how to tackle my requirement, which is as follows: We have a Linux process that runs periodically every day, this process dumps a text file with always the same name overwriting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netosv
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with a file rename shell script

Hello everyone, Posting here after a long time, been away from unix world lately and it seems I have forgotten my shell scripting completely. I have a requirement where a csv file contains following columns: Full Registration VIN Stock... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
14 Replies
RENAME(3)								 1								 RENAME(3)

rename - Renames a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
bool rename (string $oldname, string $newname, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to rename $oldname to $newname, moving it between directories if necessary. If $newname exists, it will be overwritten. PARAMETERS
o $oldname - Note The old name. The wrapper used in $oldname must match the wrapper used in $newname. o $newname - The new name. o $context - Note Context support was added with PHP 5.0.0. For a description of contexts, refer to "Streams". RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.1 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now rename files across drives in | | | Windows. | | | | | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now also be used with some URL | | | wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrap- | | | pers" for a listing of which wrappers support | | | rename(3). | | | | | 4.3.3 | | | | | | | rename(3) may now be able to rename files across | | | partitions on *nix based systems, provided the | | | appropriate permissions are held. Warnings may be | | | generated if the destination filesystem doesn't | | | permit chown() or chmod() system calls to be made | | | on files -- for example, if the destination | | | filesystem is a FAT filesystem. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example with rename(3) <?php rename("/tmp/tmp_file.txt", "/home/user/login/docs/my_file.txt"); ?> SEE ALSO
copy(3), unlink(3), move_uploaded_file(3). PHP Documentation Group RENAME(3)