Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers create a file inside a directory Post 302451317 by methyl on Monday 6th of September 2010 10:44:44 AM
Old 09-06-2010
Needs two commands.

Code:
mkdir /d
touch /d/d.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file in each user directory

Hi, Im newbie, I wanna to create file in each user directory, how to make that script, maybe someone can give me example, im confusing coz i have to change form one user directory to other Thank U. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleks
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory structure with getting input from a file.

Hi How to create a directory structure with getting input from a file. I have file in that following lines are written. ./activemq-4.1.2/activemq-core-4.1.2.jar ./activemq-4.1.2/backport-util-concurrent-2.1.jar ./camel-1.4.0/apache-camel-1.4.0.jar ./camel-1.4.0/lib/activation-1.1.jar... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory inside root as different user

Hi All, I have directory under /opt/test. The ownership of the test directory is root:root. I have login to the server as test user. I need to have some script to create a directory inside /opt/test. This script will be called as test user. When I try to execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last modified time of the folder is changing when I view the file inside the directory

Hi., Last modified time of the folder is changing when I view the file inside the directory. Here is the test on sample directory. I believe that ls -l commands gives the time detail w.r.t last modified time. Pl. suggest. bash-3.2$ mkdir test bash-3.2$ cd test bash-3.2$ touch myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i find a word inside a file from a directory and it's subdirectory ?

Suppose i have a word "mail". I have to search this word in all files inside a directory and it's sub-directories. It will also search in all hidden directory and sub-directories. If it finds this word in any file it will list that file. How can i do this with perl/ruby/awk/sed/bash or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a log file that simply shows the name of a file and what directory it was moved to.

Newbie...Thank you for your help. I am creating my first script that simply generates subdirectories to organize video, music, and text files within those subdirectories from my current working directory. PROBLEM: I am trying to write a log file that contains, for each file, the original file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping inside directories based on a file which contains file directory list

Hi All, Please help. I have got a file which contains a listing of a file and some directories after it, one by one. I am calling this file xyz.txt here file1 dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4 file2 dir5 dir6 dir7 dir8 file3 dir9 dir10 dir11 dir12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Piyush Jakra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if files inside a text file are found under a directory

Hi all, Please somebody help me with this: I want to check if the files listed in a text file, are found under a directory or not. For example: the file is list_of_files.txt, which contains inside this rows: # cat list_of_files logs errors paths debug # I want to check if these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Create same file name to directory name without dropping it

Hi, Under '/home' directory, there is one file called 'maddy'.Usually there used to be directories under /home directory. # ls -alrt total 132 drwx------ 2 hcladmin sys 4096 May 30 10:54 admin drwxr-xr-x 29 root root 4096 Aug 27 03:54 .. drwx------ 2 v6admin dba ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
delete directory(1m)													      delete directory(1m)

NAME
delete directory - Deletes a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp delete directory directory-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. DESCRIPTION
The delete directory command deletes a directory. The directory cannot contain any object entries, soft links, or child pointers. The master replica must be the only remaining replica in the cell. Use the delete replica command if you need to remove read-only replicas. Privilege Required You must have delete permission to the directory and write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the master replica of the directory. The server principal needs administer permission to the parent directory or delete permission to the child pointer that points to the directory you intend to delete. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command deletes the directory /.:/eng from the namespace: cdscp> delete directory /.:/eng RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: create directory(1m), delete replica(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) delete directory(1m)