Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux which linux is best for learning unix? Post 302450952 by fuzzylogic25 on Sunday 5th of September 2010 03:41:54 AM
Old 09-05-2010
thank you for the replies. I think opensolaris or solaris is a great way to start. isnt open solaris just the new version of solaris? i thought maybe its best if i just go with opensolaris? what is the advantages of using solaris over opensolaris?

also, last night i came across info on slackware and apparently (according to wiki), it is the most unix like linux. so would this be a good alternative?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Learning Unix

Hello one and all I am a Prof in a University in France and have been handed the "Unix" course and would like to know if anyone has a ready made course to propose to me for beginners, my students are in t heir first year and a few are ok with Unix, however i would like to find a detailed "lesson... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garydavies
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix & Linux

I'm new to Unix. I'm just looking for really good unix documents through Internet as pdf format on programming in all shells, and system adminstrator documents, and well as just all around really good documents on unix. Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: faaarin
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where to obtain UNIX and learning on a UNIX variant?

Hi. I've just started to get into UNIX. Researched on the Net, found out that most of the UNIX variants are not offered online. 1. Any of you guys know where I could obtain them on the Net? or anywhere at all? 2. Does learning a UNIX variant enough to cover an understanding of other UNIX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninelives1980
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix/Linux from the Start?

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could learn everything about Unix/Linux and I was also wondering what the differance between Unix and Linux was :confused: Ive never used it, never seen it.. But Im interested in learning :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi Everyone, I know nothing about Solaris / Linux / AIX but I know they are all part of Unix. I have been using Windows the last 15years and I have been a LAN admin, I am now working in IT Operations and we use some solaris commands but not much plus its from following a document so we can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxie
1 Replies

6. Programming

Learning OS design, Linux Vs. Minix???

Hi friends, I hope everybody is fine. I have been studing operating system concepts at college, and I find this subject very interesting. I've decided that I must go into this field no matter what, hopefully someday I would design my own operating system. I have two choices infront of me, studying... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
9 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Learning UNIX

Hi Guys , Hope everybody is fine . I am here to learn UNIX . Please provide any URLs/pdfs for learning . Thanks in advance. -Radha ---------- Post updated at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:48 PM ---------- Just to add , I am good at basics but unable to write scripts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning abt Linux OS

hi guys, i got job recently in a company which provide a product for data backup and data recovery... as dis product is wrriten in c++ am workin in c++.. now am under training and i want to learn abt Operating System concepts and OS programming using c and c++. i know basic c and c++ programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.march
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a home network for learning Linux

I am working on learning Linux, and somebody suggested setting up Linux on a separate computer, and searching for answers to whatever may be needed, on a different computer plugged in to the Internet. I have a Windows 7 PC, plugged in to a cable modem, and an old notebook, Compaq Presario R3000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdultFoundry
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning to Script in Linux

Hello, I'm trying to branch out and learn Linux, but my comfort zone is PowerShell. I figure the best way to learn it is to do it so I moved my Plex Media Server to Ubuntu Server. What I'm trying to do is build a script that searches a directory and all subdirectories for files with the .ts... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
5 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)