Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The ll command + metacharacters Post 302450928 by feverdream on Saturday 4th of September 2010 08:41:46 PM
Old 09-04-2010
The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question.

• Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the letter 'a' anywhere after the dot.
So far, I've figured out
  • ll datafiles \.
But I'm not sure how to look for a character after the dot. For that mater, I'm not sure how to list files containing a certain character. I know that
  • a*
will list files beginning with a, and that using brackets will list a range of characters, but neither of those is what I'm looking for.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using metacharacters in loops

Is there a way to use metacharacters in a loop or in an if. I want to allow a user to enter Y, y, Yes, yes, Yah, etc... in a loop I tried: read response while *" ] do........ and while *" ] do ......... this works for grep or egrep but not in loops Why?????? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Metacharacters

I want to display an asterisk to the screen as part of a string. I know how to use the Backslash to escape it's value. But how do I display it without showing the Backslash? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regencyabs
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stuck on csh metacharacters

Hello, I have a question, please (I am using tcsh). I thought that if you enclose something in double quotes, then the shell won't interpret it. For example, when I do: % echo "ls *" I get ls * However, if I do: % echo "!l" I get echo "ls -F" ls -F (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Metacharacters analysis

:confused:Hi , Can someone please advise what is the meaning of metacharacters in below code? a_PROCESS=${0##*/} a_DPFX=${a_PROCESS%.*} a_LPFX="a_DPFX : $$ : " a_UPFX="Usage: $a_PROCESS" Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing string which includes metacharacters

I'm trying to create a bash script that takes a URL as one of its arguments like this: ./script.sh http://url.cfm?asdf&asdf=234 variable=$1 echo $variable I'm having trouble storing the URL because it contains the meta character "&" which is being interpreted... thus when I run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use metacharacters to extract date

If I have a filename as filename.txt.20090807 and I use for FILE in `find . -name "filename*" -type f` do my_time=${FILE#./filename.txt.} I get my output as 20090807 However if my filename is filename.Y20090807.txt Is there a way I can use metacharacters in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

metacharacters separation

I have prepared a script to submit a string in a txt file. However there are somethings that I have to check before submitting the string in the txt file. One of those checks is to determine whether the string entered contains any metacharacters. I have tried sth like; echo "string" | grep -v ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display types of files using metacharacters

1) I want to display all the files in a directory that start with the word chapter, are followed by a digit 1,2,6,8, or 9 and end with .eps or .prn so I came up with this file ~/temp/chapter.eps ~/temp/chapter.prn but is there a better way, i.e. combining both file types into the command? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunsta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line not recognizing metacharacters in awk

Hello, I'm new to command line coding (and coding in general) and have run into a problem. I'm using awk to perform a global find and replace in a text file in the Terminal provided by Mac. Here is a sample of my textfile where the fields are separated by tabs. 1Ps 1,1 VWB/(J VWB VWB... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
merge_fonts(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					      merge_fonts(3alleg4)

NAME
merge_fonts - Merges two fonts into one font. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> FONT *merge_fonts(FONT *f1, FONT *f2) DESCRIPTION
This function merges the character ranges from two fonts and returns a new font containing all characters in the old fonts. In general, you cannot merge fonts of different types (eg, TrueType fonts and bitmapped fonts), but as a special case, this function can promote a mono- chrome bitmapped font to a color font and merge those. Example: FONT *myfont; FONT *myfancy_font; FONT *lower_range; FONT *upper_range; FONT *capitals; FONT *combined_font; FONT *tempfont; ... /* Create a font that contains the capitals from */ /* the fancy font but other characters from myfont */ lower_range = extract_font_range(myfont, -1, 'A'-1); upper_range = extract_font_range(myfont, 'Z'+1, -1); capitals = extract_font_range(myfancy_font, 'A', 'Z'); tempfont = merge_fonts(lower_range, capitals); combined_font = merge_fonts(tempfont, upper_range); /* Clean up temporary fonts */ destroy_font(lower_range); destroy_font(upper_range); destroy_font(capitals); destroy_font(tempfont); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the new font or NULL on error. Remember that you are responsible for destroying the font when you are finished with it to avoid memory leaks. SEE ALSO
extract_font_range(3alleg4), is_trans_font(3alleg4), is_color_font(3alleg4), is_mono_font(3alleg4), exfont(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 merge_fonts(3alleg4)