Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: until loop Perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting until loop Perl Post 302450680 by cold_Que on Friday 3rd of September 2010 12:15:04 PM
Old 09-03-2010
until loop Perl

I am trying to print out a section of a file begining at the start and printng until a character is found.

My code and input file are below. This code is printing out every line except for the line with the character which is not what I want the out put should be a file with numbers 1-4.

Input file
Code:

Code
Code:
while(<FILE>)
{
until(/\*/) {
print "\n$_\n";
last;
}
}
close(FILE);

Please provide a correction to the code or a better method.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with perl while loop

Can anyone tell me why this program won't kick out when the time gets beyond time in the loop? sub showtime { local($format,$military)=@_; ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst)=localtime(time); if ((! $military) &amp;&amp; ($hour &gt; 12)) {$hour-=12;} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: methos
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop in perl

my $i; my $j; for($i=1;$i<=5;$i++) { for($j=$i;$j<5;$j++) { print " "; } print "$i\n"; } But the output i need is 1 12 123 1234 12345 Help me please (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl loop keeps getting stuck

I am using a Perl script to open a series of files in a loop, separate the paragraph into lines, and output the lines into a new file. The code works perfectly fine, except when the source file is over a certain size the loop gets stuck and won’t move on to the next file. It still does what it is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renthead720
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Perl Loop Problem

Another newbie question... I can not figure out how to get this running using a loop. Here is what I have now. #!/usr/bin/perl use SNMP::Info; $list="list.list"; open(DAT, $list) || die("Can't Open List"); @raw_data=<DAT>; close(DAT); foreach $dest (@raw_data) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with PERL loop

I wrote a script to list all lines in a file with Perl. I am having trouble with the looping part of it. My script is supposed to look at the file and as long as the file is larger than the current line it prints a new line. I am getting an error that won't stop on the while line of my code I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zero3ree
4 Replies

7. Programming

while loop perl

I am trying to create a success and fail as below in a perl script : while echo$? is 2 it should append as below to .fail file ===================== if ( open(IN, "$outputfile")) { while( $my_line = <IN> ) { #print "$my_line \n" ; return 0; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop in Perl

Hi All I am reading the file using while loop in Perl someting like while (my $s=<F>){ chomp($s); .. .. .. } What i want to do is after the chomp statement i used some condition, if the condition is met then it should move forward otherwise it should read the new line. How Can it be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl while loop for each

I have the below scenario in perl cd $FIDE_RECEIVE ; # see the files that start with feedmgr.usfed.tips $CycleDate = &fi_get_curr_date('US','NIGHTLY_CYCLE','PROCESS'); head -1 GNM_GEO.DAT.EMBS* |grep -v GNM_GEO.DAT.EMBS | awk '{$4 " " $5}' output for above command :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl loop until

I have a script that needs to wait on another script to finish. I created a sub routine to check the file for the number 0 but my until statement keeps on going. I tried eq, == and =~ but same thing. my $CHECKING_FILE = 1; do { sleep(5); $CHECKING_FILE = check_file(); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
2 Replies
col(1)							      General Commands Manual							    col(1)

Name
       col - filter reverse line feeds

Syntax
       col [-options]

Description
       The command reads the standard input and writes the standard output.  It performs the line overlays implied by reverse line feeds (ESC-7 in
       ASCII) and by forward and reverse half line feeds (ESC-9 and ESC-8, respectively).  The command is particularly useful for filtering multi-
       column output made with the command of and for filtering output resulting from the preprocessor.

Although  accepts half line motions in its input, it does not normally output them.  Instead, text that would appear between lines is moved
       to the next lower full line boundary.

The control characters SO (ASCII code 017) and SI (ASCII code 016) are assumed to start and end text in an alternate  character	set.   The
       character  set (primary or alternate) associated with each printing character read is remembered.  On output, SO and SI characters are gen-
       erated where necessary to maintain the correct treatment of each character.

The command normally converts white space to tabs to shorten printing time.  If the -h option is given, this conversion is suppressed.

On input, the only control characters accepted are <space>, <backspace>, <tab>, <return>, <newline>, etc...  The VT character is an  alter-
       nate  form  of  full reverse linefeed, included for compatibility with earlier programs of this type. All other non-printing characters are
       ignored.

Options
       -b     Assumes that the output device does not have backspacing.

-f     Suppresses moving half lines to the next full line.

-h     Suppresses conversion of white space to tabs.

-p     Forces through unchanged any unknown escape sequences that are found in its input. This option should be used with care.

-x     Suppresses conversion of white space to tabs (same as -h).

Restrictions
       Cannot back up more than 128 lines.
       No more than 800 characters, including backspaces, on a line.

See Also
       tbl(1), nroff(1)

col(1)