Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK - Pattern Matching & Replacing - Performance Post 302450617 by radoulov on Friday 3rd of September 2010 08:52:12 AM
Old 09-03-2010
Try this:

Code:
perl -06ne'END { print $. }' infile

This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with finding & replacing pattern in a file

Hi everyone. Could u be so kind and help me with on "simple" shell script? 1. i need to search a file line by line for a pattern. example of a lines in that file 2947 domain = feD,id = 00 0A 02 48 17 1E 1D 39 DE 00 0E 00,Name Values:snNo = f10 Add AttFlag = 0 2. i need to find... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dusoo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all except for the matching pattern

Hi all I need to replace all characters in a file except for the matching pattern eg. I need to replace all character with '*' except for the pattern "abc" Input "sdfhgsdf abc ##%$#abcsdfh sdfjkfff" Output "******abc******abc*************" Request for single liner solution (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav288
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern matching New to Sed & Awk

Hello, Despite reading the Pattern Matching chapter in the O'Reilly Sed & Awk book several times and looking at numerous examples, I cannot seem to get any kind of conditional script to work in my awk scripts! I am able to do the basic awk and grep script to capture the data but when I do with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pg55
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a pattern in a file & prefixing a word

Hi, In my shell script i have to match a patten in a file , if found i have to prefix the entair line by a "word" eg. pattern = "aaa" prefix= #123 file: bbbb xxx zzzz aaaa qqqq kkkk outPut file: bbbb xxx ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching & storing result in variable

Hi! i'm trying to parse textfiles against a pattern and storing the result in a variable. The strings i want to get are embraced by and can occur several times in one line, so e.g. some text anything else endwhat i have so far: #!/bin/bash for f in $* do exec 3<&0 exec 0<$f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoni
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching & replacing of content in file1 with file2

I have file 1 & file 2 with content mentioned below. I want to get the output as shown in file3. Requirement: check the content of column 1 & column 2, if value of column 1 in file1 matches with first column of file2 then remaining columns(2&3) of file2 should get replaced, also if value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Array matching and replacing from master file.

I have an awk related question that I was hoping you all could help with. I am given 2 input files named OLDFILE and NEWFILE, and a Master file named MASTERFILE. They can be seen below. OLDFILE: a a a a a f g 4 5 7 8 1 2 3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiktak292
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print & and \n while replacing with sed/awk?

string="din&esh\nisgood" File.txt: the name is sed "s#\#${string}#g" File.txt Output am getting: the name is dinesh is good Expected output: the name is din&esh\nisgood The input string is dynamic it will be keep on changing am able to handle & by placing \& in the string.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance assessment of using single or combined pattern matching

Hi, I want to know which pattern matching technique will be giving better performance and quick result. I will be having the patterns in a file and want to read that patterns and search through a whole file of say 70 MB size. whether if i initially create a pattern matching string while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)