Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search a word and print specific string using awk Post 302450256 by dragon.1431 on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 07:19:12 AM
Old 09-02-2010
search a word and print specific string using awk

Hi,
I have list of directory paths in a variable and i want to delete those dirs and if dir does not exist then search that string and get the correct path from xml file after that delete the correct directory. i tried to use grep and it prints the entire line from the search.once i get the entire line how do i filter the path using awk special variables?

if $i has dir1/kernel if it exists delete otherwise grep "dir1/kernel" from input.xml file read the project name path and delete the folder"abc/dir1/kernel" and continue with loop.No space between name,=," so how do i use FS & what should be the search pattern in awk?

out.txt contains
<pro name="abc/dir1/kernel" path="dir1/kernel" revision="12345"/>
<pro name="xyz/valid/out" path="valid/out" revision="12345"/>
code:

Code:
for i in ${REMOVE_DIRS}
do    
    if [ -d "${i}.git" ]; then
    echo "Remove ${i}.git"
    rm -rf ${i}.git
    else
    echo "directory ${i}.git does not exist"
    grep "${i}" input.xml >> out.txt
    fi

done

I appreciate your ideas .

---------- Post updated at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:42 AM ----------

any thoughts ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with search string at specific position

Hi Folks, I have a file with all fields defined by byte position, but any field can be empty so I cannot print lines based on a search of specific columns. I need to print all lines of this file where the string of two characters at byte position 100-101 contains the number 27. Any ideas? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HealthyGuy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed command to print specific string between word and blank space

My source is on each line 98.194.245.255 - - "GET /disp0201.php?poc=4060&roc=1&ps=R&ooc=13&mjv=6&mov=5&rel=5&bod=155&oxi=2&omj=5&ozn=1&dav=20&cd=&daz=&drc=&mo=&sid=&lang=EN&loc=JPN HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search-word-print-specific-string

Hi, Our input xml looks like: <doc> <str name="account_id">1111</str> <str name="prd_id">DHEP155EK</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str name="prd_id">394531662</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk help to print specific columns with as string in a header

awk experts, I have a big file of 4000 columns with header. Would like to print the columns with string value of "Commands" in header. File has "," separator. This file is on ESX host with Bash. Thanks, Arv (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: arv_cds
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

break the string and print it in a new line after a specific word

Hi Gurus I am new to this forum.. I am using HP Unix OS. I have one single string in input file as shown below Abc123 | cde | fgh | ghik| lmno | Abc456 |one |two |three | four | Abc789 | five | Six | seven | eight | Abc098 | ........ I want to achive the result in a output file as shown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string in unix and print whole matching word

Hi I have requirement to search string starting with specific characters and print whole matching word in that string. example mystr="ATTRIBUTE NAME="Event Name" VALUE="Execute"" I want to search by passing "NAME=" and result should be NAME="Event Name". i am using below command but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - how to print specific field if a string is matched

hi gurus, I would like to be able to use awk to process 1 file as such: abc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 flags 1 2 4 flags 1 2 5 abc 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 flags 1 2 3 abc 4 5 6 7 8 9 6 7 78 89 flags 1 2 3 flags 1 2 4 flags 1 2 3 4 I would like to be able to print field 1 and 5 when the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print string if tag is specific value

In the below awk I am trying to print expName only if another tag planExecuted is true. In addition to the expName I am also printing planShortID. For some reason the word experiment gets printed so I remove it with sed. I have attached the complete index.html as well as included a sample of it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
cd(1)								   User Commands							     cd(1)

NAME
cd, chdir, pushd, popd, dirs - change working directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/cd [directory] sh cd [argument] chdir [argument] csh cd [dir] chdir [dir] pushd [+n | dir] popd [+ n] dirs [-l] ksh cd [-L] [-P] [arg] cd old new DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/cd The /usr/bin/cd utility changes the current directory in the context of the cd utility only. This is in contrast to the version built into the shell. /usr/bin/cd has no effect on the invoking process but can be used to determine whether or not a given directory can be set as the current directory. sh The Bourne shell built-in cd changes the current directory to argument. The shell parameter HOME is the default argument. The shell parame- ter CDPATH defines the search path for the directory containing argument. Alternative directory names are separated by a colon (:). The default path is <null> (specifying the current directory). The current directory is specified by a null path name, which can appear immedi- ately after the equal sign or between the colon delimiters anywhere else in the path list. If argument begins with `/', `.', or `.. ', the search path is not used. Otherwise, each directory in the path is searched for argument. cd must have execute (search) permission in argu- ment. Because a new process is created to execute each command, cd would be ineffective if it were written as a normal command; therefore, it is recognized by and is internal to the shell. (See pwd(1), sh(1), and chdir(2)). chdir is just another way to call cd. csh If dir is not specified, the C shell built-in cd uses the value of shell parameter HOME as the new working directory. If dir specifies a complete path starting with ` / ', ` . ', or ` .. ', dir becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, cd tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the CDPATH shell variable. CDPATH has the same syntax as, and similar seman- tics to, the PATH shell variable. cd must have execute (search) permission in dir. Because a new process is created to execute each com- mand, cd would be ineffective if it were written as a normal command; therefore, it is recognized by and is internal to the C-shell. (See pwd(1), sh(1), and chdir(2)). chdir changes the shell's working directory to directory dir. If no argument is given, change to the home directory of the user. If dir is a relative pathname not found in the current directory, check for it in those directories listed in the cdpath variable. If dir is the name of a shell variable whose value starts with a /, change to the directory named by that value. pushd pushes a directory onto the directory stack. With no arguments, exchange the top two elements. +n Rotate the n'th entry to the top of the stack and cd to it. dir Push the current working directory onto the stack and change to dir. popd pops the directory stack and cd to the new top directory. The elements of the directory stack are numbered from 0 starting at the top. +n Discard the n'th entry in the stack. dirs prints the directory stack, most recent to the left; the first directory shown is the current directory. With the -l argument, produce an unabbreviated printout; use of the ~ notation is suppressed. ksh The Korn shell built-in cd command can be in either of two forms. In the first form it changes the current directory to arg. If arg is - the directory is changed to the previous directory. The shell variable HOME is the default arg. The environment variable PWD is set to the current directory. If the PWD is changed, the OLDPWD environment variable shall also be changed to the value of the old working directory, that is, the current working directory immediately prior to the call to change directory (cd). The shell variable CDPATH defines the search path for the directory containing arg. Alternative directory names are separated by a colon (:). The default path is null (specifying the current directory). The current directory is specified by a null path name, which can appear immediately after the equal sign or between the colon delimiters anywhere else in the path list. If arg begins with a ` / ', ` . ', or ` .. ', then the search path is not used. Other- wise, each directory in the path is searched for arg. If unsuccessful, cd attempts to change directories to the pathname formed by the con- catenation of the value of PWD, a slash character, and arg. -L Handles the operation dot-dot (..) logically. Symbolic link components are not resolved before dot-dot components are processed. -P Handles the operand dot-dot physically. Symbolic link components are resolved before dot-dot components are processed. If both -L and -P options are specified, the last option to be invoked is used and the other is ignored. If neither -L nor -P is specified, the operand is handled dot-dot logically. The second form of cd substitutes the string new for the string old in the current directory name, PWD and tries to change to this new directory. The cd command cannot be executed by rksh. Because a new process is created to execute each command, cd would be ineffective if it were written as a normal command; therefore, it is recognized by and is internal to the Korn shell. (See pwd(1), sh(1), and chdir(2)). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: directory An absolute or relative pathname of the directory that becomes the new working directory. The interpretation of a relative pathname by cd depends on the CDPATH environment variable. OUTPUT
If a non-empty directory name from CDPATH is used, an absolute pathname of the new working directory is written to the standard output as follows: "%s ", <new directory> Otherwise, there is no output. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cd: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. CDPATH A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash ( / ) character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, cd searches for directory relative to each directory named in the CDPATH variable, in the order listed. The new working directory sets to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current directory. If CDPATH is not set, it is treated as if it were an empty string. HOME The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. OLDPWD A pathname of the previous working directory, used by cd-. PWD A pathname of the current working directory, set by cd after it has changed to that directory. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by cd: 0 The directory was successfully changed. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), pwd(1), sh(1), chdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Jul 2004 cd(1)