Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting "Argument list too long" error Post 302450099 by mario8eren on Wednesday 1st of September 2010 03:35:27 PM
Old 09-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Yes - but it is the length of the FULL pathname including your directoryname, e.g.,
/path/to/my/list/of/files/./A285-B285-C285-D285-E285-F285-G285-H285
that the system is complaining about.

Code:
grep PATH_MAX /uysr/include/limits.h

will tell you the limit of the number of characters in a fully qualified pathname. Start with that to check your filename problems.
Thank you very much. I tried it, but it didn't find "PATH_MAX" in the file. So I just tried "MAX". I hoped there is an equivalent keyword there, but I didn't find anything I could relate to pathname. I copy the results here, maybe you might notice it:

Code:
mario8@slater (~) >grep PATH_MAX /usr/include/limits.h
mario8@slater (~) >grep MAX /usr/include/limits.h
#define MB_LEN_MAX      16
#  define SCHAR_MAX     127
#  define UCHAR_MAX     255
#   define CHAR_MAX     UCHAR_MAX
#   define CHAR_MAX     SCHAR_MAX
#  define SHRT_MAX      32767
#  define USHRT_MAX     65535
#  define INT_MIN       (-INT_MAX - 1)
#  define INT_MAX       2147483647
#  define UINT_MAX      4294967295U
#   define LONG_MAX     9223372036854775807L
#   define LONG_MAX     2147483647L
#  define LONG_MIN      (-LONG_MAX - 1L)
#   define ULONG_MAX    18446744073709551615UL
#   define ULONG_MAX    4294967295UL
#   define LLONG_MAX    9223372036854775807LL
#   define LLONG_MIN    (-LLONG_MAX - 1LL)
#   define ULLONG_MAX   18446744073709551615ULL
   LLONG_MAX, and ULLONG_MAX.  Instead only the values gcc defined for
#  ifndef LLONG_MAX
#   define LLONG_MAX    LONG_LONG_MAX
#  ifndef ULLONG_MAX
#   define ULLONG_MAX   ULONG_LONG_MAX

Thank you in advance,

Mario

Edit: Maybe I should shorten the script by deleting the letters and only leave the degrees (numbers) in the folder names, since I analyze the results later with another sript and due to that I don't need the letters so badly?

Last edited by mario8eren; 09-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: An idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to REMOVE USER that display error --> "Name is too long"

I wish to remove a user from the system... but an error occurr... I try to remove via SMITTY and try to remove via command line with rmuser -p (name of user) and does not works.... The system display that the "Name is too long" There another way to remove a user... or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgonzal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument list too long - Shell error

Trying to tar specific files from a directory causes problems when the number of files is too large. ls ~/logs | wc -l 5928 In the logs directory - I have 5928 files If I want to include all files with today's date - I run the following command tar cf ~/archive/LoadLogs_20060302.tar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dad5119
8 Replies

3. Programming

error "Invalid argument" returned after call sched_setscheduler

the code is below and the was run on Solaris 9. ----------------------------- struct sched_param param; param.sched_priority = 99; if(sched_setscheduler(0, SCHED_RR, &param) == -1) { perror("setting priority"); exit(1); } ------------------------------- after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"test: argument expected" error

Hi, No need to say I'm new to unix shell scripting. I have a very simple script that goes this way: for datos in `ls -rt $UNXLOG/26-Jan*` do export arch=`echo $datos |cut -d, -f1` if then export linea1=`grep Debut ${arch}` export horatot=`echo $linea1 |cut -d' ' -f5` ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument too long list error

I have a wrote a script which consits of the below line.. Below of this script I'm getting this error "ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long" The line is log_file_time=`ssh -i $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa -q $i ls -lrt /bp/karthik/test/data/log/$abc*|tail -1|awk '{print $8}'` And $abc alias is as "p |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 22karthikreddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl "Invalid argument error"

Hi , we have a issue in server, we are running a perl script to connect our clients, but we are not able to connect, every time we are getting the "Invalid argument error" Even i checked all the necessary perl modules are i installed in this server, #create the listen socket my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from "list1" and list matches in "list2"

I want to print any matching IP addresse in List1 with List 2; List 1 List of IP addresses; 161.85.58.210 250.57.15.129 217.23.162.249 74.76.129.101 30.221.177.237 3.147.200.59 170.58.142.64 127.65.109.33 150.167.242.146 223.3.20.186 25.181.180.99 2.55.199.32 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of "How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?"

To bakunin and corona688: My result when text in file is ms_ww_546 ms_rrL_99999 ms_nnn_67_756675 is https://www.unix.com/C:\Users\Fejoz\Desktop\ttt.jpg I hope you can see the picture. There is like a "whitespace character" after 2 of the 3 created directories. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
0 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)