Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Forgot Passwd
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Forgot Passwd Post 302448889 by verdepollo on Friday 27th of August 2010 09:57:02 AM
Old 08-27-2010
Unless your BIOS is password protected you can use the following steps:

Booting into Single-User Mode

The doc. is for RHEL 4 but it's the same for RHEL 5.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

forgot metaroot command

:o hi, i am new to Unix. I was try to do a mirror on solaris 8 with Solstice DiskSuite. Unfortunately I have missed the metaroot command and reboot system. The system unable to boot up. May i know what should I do to bring the system up? Pls help. thks and regards, ann (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypg
12 Replies

2. Linux

forgot password red hat ?

Dear Forum savants, I have a problem that I am not sure how to overcome. Two years ago I had a friend build me computer with a linux os (red hat) for learning purposes. It happens to have an oracle server on it as well... Anyway , because of personal reasons, I lost complete interest in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

forgot password

i forgot my password on a HP-UX 9.xx machine. is there a possible way of changing it without knowing the root passwd? I would do it with a boot disk and chroot but I dont have a boot disk available.... any ideas? thanks!! Paul Tittel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paultittel
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I forgot my UNIX password!!

Hello, Is there a way to reset the "root" unix password, pretty much like you would do in linux by going into single user mode? :confused: :confused: Thank you in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Big
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

forgot root passwd

hi i have a RHEL 4 and have forgot root passwd tried to boot in by singel user and then changing the passwd but it's not letting me do that ......throwing some weird error as .......manipulation i also tried to make a new user from CLI but even though it's not letting me in from that user as... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: techbravo
12 Replies

6. Solaris

forgot password

hello friends, I am currently using solaris 10. I have lost the root password. Can you please give me a step by step procedure on how to set the password again. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forgot root password

i am a new user of unix . i lost my SGI unix server root password Any body please help me,how get password? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasu.k82
2 Replies

8. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

New process, forgot the key point

i am using a newprocess, but i forgot the key point Changed subject. See post below from Neo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maryeveryday
2 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)