Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Something is filling hard disk on its own. Post 302448552 by timgolding on Thursday 26th of August 2010 09:41:54 AM
Old 08-26-2010
Here is the output
Code:
mail:~ timgolding$ df /Volumes/Files_Backup_1
Filesystem   512-blocks      Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s9  156286104 154447376 1326728    99%    /
mail:~ timgolding$ df
Filesystem              512-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s9             156286104 154447376   1326728    99%    /
devfs                          201       201         0   100%    /dev
fdesc                            2         2         0   100%    /dev
<volfs>                       1024      1024         0   100%    /.vol
automount -nsl [352]             0         0         0   100%    /Network
automount -fstab [355]           0         0         0   100%    /automount/Servers
automount -static [355]          0         0         0   100%    /automount/static
/dev/disk2s3             976510944 357044944 619466000    37%    /Volumes/Files_Backup_1 1
/dev/disk1s10            156023264 112507056  43516208    72%    /Volumes/Files
mail:~ timgolding$ mount
/dev/disk0s9 on / (local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (local)
fdesc on /dev (union)
<volfs> on /.vol
automount -nsl [352] on /Network (automounted)
automount -fstab [355] on /automount/Servers (automounted)
automount -static [355] on /automount/static (automounted)
/dev/disk2s3 on /Volumes/Files_Backup_1 1 (local, journaled)
/dev/disk1s10 on /Volumes/Files (local, journaled)
mail:~ timgolding$

/Volumes/File_Backup_1 is the external hard disk that the backups are saved onto. Shall i unmout it and check df

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard disk problems

Hi all I am facing a strange problem. I am using a sun ultra10 spark machine. first i took a 20gb IDE hard disk and installed solaris 5.8. But due to some requirement i have to reinstall the OS but this time solaris 2.6. and now the hard disk capacity is only showing 8gb. Where the 12gb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding hard Disk

Hi all, I am using SCO Openserver V and I want to add one more harddisk (/dev/hd1) Hw can I do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skant
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAM, Hard Disk

Hi, I work in a production support environment. All our PROD machines SPARC machines and Solaris O/S. I want to know how to find out what the hard disk size, RAM size etc. of our PROD machines. Please let me know if there is any way to find out this (other than from system administrator). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramaraju
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

6. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
3 Replies

9. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

10. BSD

Migrate a Hard Disk

hi Has anyone already tried to migrate a hard disk with FreeBSD using recoverdisk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies
close(2)							System Calls Manual							  close(2)

NAME
close - close a file descriptor SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
closes the file descriptor indicated by fildes. fildes is a file descriptor obtained from a or system call. All associated file segments which have been locked by this process with the function are released (i.e., unlocked). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns a value of 0; otherwise, it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if the any of following conditions are encountered: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid open file descriptor. [EINTR] An attempt to close a slow device or connection or file with pending aio requests was interrupted by a signal. The file descriptor still points to an open device or connection or file. [ENOSPC] Not enough space on the file system. This error can occur when closing a file on an NFS file system. [When a system call is executed on a local file system and if a new buffer needs to be allocated to hold the data, the buffer is mapped onto the disk at that time. A full disk is detected at this time and returns an error. When the system call is executed on an NFS file system, the new buffer is allocated without communicating with the NFS server to see if there is space for the buffer (to improve NFS performance). It is only when the buffer is written to the server (at file close or the buffer is full) that the disk-full condition is detected.] SEE ALSO
creat(2), dup(2), exec(2), fcntl(2), lockf(2), open(2), pipe(2), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
close(2)