Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting !!EMERGENCY!! - GREP/CUT to array Post 302448021 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 25th of August 2010 04:49:02 AM
Old 08-25-2010
By default awk separates using space characters so it will handle to TABs as well as space. To make it e.g. use TABs only you can use:
Code:
awk -F "\t" 'NR==5{print $4}' infile

likewise for . or ,
Code:
awk -F. 'NR==5{print $4}' infile
awk -F, 'NR==5{print $4}' infile

To use any number of space characters only (and not TABs):
Code:
awk -F" *" NR==5{print $4}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and cut....

hi, i have a simple question: in hpux 11i; this cmd : cat mailtest |grep sekar >test1 gives the output file with the name test1. i want to remove the line which contains the "sekar" and put the result in the new file.... what is the command for that?.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to assign cut values to an array

i need to seperate values seperated by delimiters and assign it to an array.. can u plz help me on that. Variables = "asd,rgbh,(,rty,got,),sroe,9034," i need to assign the variables into arrays.. like.. var=asd var=rgbh.. and so on how do i do this. i need to reuse the values stored in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail, grep and cut

Hello all, I have some weird problem that kinda baffles me. Say I have the following test file: claudia:~/tmp$ cat testfile.txt This is a test line This is the second test line And yeah, this is the third test line Then say I want to tail the file, grep for the word "third" then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylaan
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl grep array against array

Hi, Is there any way I can grep an array against another array? Basically here's what I need to do. There will be an array containing some fixed texts and I have to check whether some files contain these lines. Reading the same files over and over again for each different pattern doesnt seem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and cut within awk

Hi My input file looks like as follows: say a.txt "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittoo
5 Replies

6. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text and assign them into array

file.txt : is delimiter: abc:def:ghi jkl:mno: pqr 123:456:789 if I do the cut command, and cut the first column, and echo it out I will get the output: abc jkl 123 How can I assign the column of text that I've cut into Array? e.g If I were to echo array array it will output as:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with cut option??

This is my command-line code in my script, passwd=`grep $passwd $userfile | cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve` the cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve searches and prints the whole column two. what I need is one of the items in the column two only.. what option can I add to my cut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Lines using grep

Hi, I have a SQL script with "create table" and "alter table" statements and I want to cut all the alter table statements from original file (A) and move it to a different file (B). Can you please me the option. Thanks a lot for your time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emergency grep/delete trouble!!!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for reading. I built a user reference page from /etc/password for a class project. Now I need two shell scripts: 1) Add names to the reference page 2) Delete names from the reference page. I know grep -v is involved somehow and some piping but I am super stuck. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsmpdx
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)