Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed remove two headers; writing more elegant code Post 302447973 by mikey11415 on Wednesday 25th of August 2010 12:05:20 AM
Old 08-25-2010
thanks AGAIN!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help:how to remove headers in output file

Hi I am running a script (which compares two directory contents) for which I am getting an output of 70 pages in which few pages are blank so I was able to delete those blank lines. But I also want to delete the headers present for each page. can any one help me by providing the code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj_thota
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Headers throughout a data file

I have a data file with over 500,000 records/lines that has the header throughout the file. SEQ_ID Name Start_Date Ins_date Add1 Add2 1 Harris 04/02/08 03/02/08 333 Main Suite 101 2 Smith 02/03/08 01/23/08 287 Jenkins SEQ_ID Name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psmall
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please make this code elegant.

Hi All, Following is the part of my script.It does contain many for loops and is not elegant. Please feel free to suggest any changes to make this elegant. Thanks! nua7 for i in `ls $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib/*.jar`; do LOCALCLASSPATH="$LOCALCLASSPATH:$i" done for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove certain headers using mailx or sendmail

Hello, So i want to send mails in any way from a solaris 5.8 system, perhaps using mailx or sendmail. My purpose is to stay clear of systems name in head data. So i want to strip at least the "Message-Id" and the "Recieved" headers of the mail. Yet this seems to be a bit of a problem. Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact

Hi, I'm trying to strip all lines between two headers in a file: ### BEGIN ### Text to remove, contains all kinds of characters ... Antispyware-Downloadserver.com (Germany)=http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.c om/updates/ Antispyware-Downloadserver.com #2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trones
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove interspersed headers in .dat file with AWK

Heya there, A small selection of my data is shown below. DATE TIME FRAC_DAYS_SINCE_JAN1 2011-06-25 08:03:20.000 175.33564815 2011-06-25 08:03:25.000 175.33570602 2011-06-25 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed command to remove multiple instances of repeating headers in one file?

Hi, I have catenated multiple output files (from a monte carlo run) into one big output file. Each individual file has it's own two line header. So when I catenate, there are multiple two line headers (of the same wording) within the big file. How do I use the sed command to search for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rebazon
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster command to remove headers for files in a directory

Good evening Im new at unix shell scripting and im planning to script a shell that removes headers for about 120 files in a directory and each file contains about 200000 lines in average. i know i will loop files to process each one and ive found in this great forum different solutions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove headers thar dont match

Good evening I need your help please, im new at Unix and i wanted to remove the first 5 headers for 100000 records files and then create a control file .ctl that contains the number of records and all seem to work out but when i tested at production it didnt wotk. Here is the code: #!... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white space and duplicate headers

I have a file called "dsout" with empty rows and duplicate headers. DATE TIME TOTAL_GB USED_GB %USED --------- -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- 03/05/013 12:34 PM 3151.24316 2331.56653 73.988785 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies
TAIL(1) 								FSF								   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - output the last part of files SYNOPSIS
tail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print the last 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --retry keep trying to open a file even if it is inaccessible when tail starts or if it becomes inaccessible later -- useful only with -f -c, --bytes=N output the last N bytes -f, --follow[={name|descriptor}] output appended data as the file grows; -f, --follow, and --follow=descriptor are equivalent -F same as --follow=name --retry -n, --lines=N output the last N lines, instead of the last 10 --max-unchanged-stats=N with --follow=name, reopen a FILE which has not changed size after N (default 5) iterations to see if it has been unlinked or renamed (this is the usual case of rotated log files) --pid=PID with -f, terminate after process ID, PID dies -q, --quiet, --silent never output headers giving file names -s, --sleep-interval=S with -f, sleep for approximately S seconds (default 1.0) between iterations. -v, --verbose always output headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If the first character of N (the number of bytes or lines) is a `+', print beginning with the Nth item from the start of each file, other- wise, print the last N items in the file. N may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1024, m for 1048576 (1 Meg). With --follow (-f), tail defaults to following the file descriptor, which means that even if a tail'ed file is renamed, tail will continue to track its end. This default behavior is not desirable when you really want to track the actual name of the file, not the file descrip- tor (e.g., log rotation). Use --follow=name in that case. That causes tail to track the named file by reopening it periodically to see if it has been removed and recreated by some other program. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tail is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tail programs are properly installed at your site, the command info tail should give you access to the complete manual. tail (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 TAIL(1)