Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Debian - kernel dircolors daily error 6 Post 302447971 by juliej on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 11:57:34 PM
Old 08-25-2010
[SOLVED] Debian - kernel dircolors daily error 6

I'm using Debian 5.0.4 Lenny. Daily my logs kern.log, messages, and syslog are filled with errors regarding dircolors:
Quote:
Aug 24 23:05:34 myserver.com kernel: [1906415.362252] dircolors[11556]: segfault at 0 ip 08049e30 sp bfffcd4c error 6 in dircolors[8048000+8000]
Aug 24 23:08:02 myserver.com kernel: [1906563.298468] dircolors[12296]: segfault at 0 ip 08049e30 sp bffff61c error 6 in dircolors[8048000+8000]
Aug 24 23:10:30 myserver.com kernel: [1906711.794160] dircolors[12914]: segfault at 0 ip 08049e30 sp bfffe8fc error 6 in dircolors[8048000+8000]
etc...
I've googled this to death and still haven't found a solution to fix or stop this.

I read on man dircolors to: dircolors --version
The output I receive on this cmd is only: Segmentation fault

I do: dircolors --print-database
The output I pasted here since it is quite long: dircolors -p # Configuration - Anonymous - 1cepQj3B - Pastebin.com
It ends with:
.wav 00;36
Segmentation fault

Thank you for the help Smilie

EDIT: Solved by doing:
aptitude reinstall coreutils

Last edited by juliej; 08-26-2010 at 09:47 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD: dircolors?

Hi, I'm wondering how I can get colors on the stuff that ls prints out in OpenBSD? //Maestin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maestin
4 Replies

2. Debian

error startx with debian

hello i have installed xfree86 with debian 2.4, but i have the message when i launch startx: XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "uxdev1000.lobino.fr:0"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. Linux

GPG error on Debian 4 using apt-get

Hello, I wish to update a debian 4.0 server we have but cannot get past the following error message. my keys are as follows: Any help would be good. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in script to automate the daily monitoring process of UNIX server and it's proc

hi friends, I am trying to automate the daily monitoring process of UNIX server and it's processes. the script are below i executed the above script using ksh -x monitortest1.sh in root login . It shows error at some lines . 1. i logged in using root ,but it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
8 Replies

5. Debian

how to find out the kernel version of a particular debian release ?

Is there any metrics table available somewhere listing out, which kernel version is there in particular debian release ? Also, can somebody tell which debian release is having the kernel version 2.6.26 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about /proc/acpi (Debian 7.2 w/ 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am running Debian Wheezy 7.2 with a 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel. There are a couple of virtual files and directories in /proc I can't seem to find much information about. I am aware that some of them might be legacy, though. Anyway, here they are: acpi: according to this link, this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies

7. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

8. Debian

Debian install - kernel panic

Hello all, I would like to install Debian Jessie on my i386 When I boot from the installiso I see the menu and pick 'install'. The bios beeps once immediately and I get the following output: I 've tried 3 cd's already...(md5 sum=ok) this computer always ran... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: drum159
13 Replies
DIRCOLORS(1)							   User Commands						      DIRCOLORS(1)

NAME
dircolors - color setup for ls SYNOPSIS
dircolors [OPTION]... [FILE] DESCRIPTION
Output commands to set the LS_COLORS environment variable. Determine format of output: -b, --sh, --bourne-shell output Bourne shell code to set LS_COLORS -c, --csh, --c-shell output C shell code to set LS_COLORS -p, --print-database output defaults --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If FILE is specified, read it to determine which colors to use for which file types and extensions. Otherwise, a precompiled database is used. For details on the format of these files, run `dircolors --print-database'. AUTHOR
Written by H. Peter Anvin. REPORTING BUGS
Report dircolors bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report dircolors translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for dircolors is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and dircolors programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'dircolors invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 DIRCOLORS(1)