Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Enhanced partition copy script (new & improved!) Post 302447896 by Corona688 on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 03:44:07 PM
Old 08-24-2010
One thing I've noticed that dd seems unable to do is properly save/restore "extended" partition information. It's not recorded in the boot sector, and dd-ing the "extended" device (not the partitions in it) doesn't seem to preserve it either. Where is it stored?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Gentoo

How to copy single partition?

I presently backup my multi-OS multi-paritition boot drive (fedora core 4/ext3, WinXPServer/NTFS, WinXPHome/FAT32) with the command: telinit 1; cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb And this works. Is there a command to only copy a single partition instead of an entire device? And what about the grub... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

slice & partition???

:confused: Hello, What is the difference between slice and partition on Solaris world? Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search first&second string & copy all content between them to other file?

Hi All, How do I search first string & second string and copy all content between them from one file to another file? Please help me.. Thanks In Advance. Regards, Pankaj (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajp
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy a whole partition excluding specified.

Scenario: I would want to copy my / to /mnt, and to avoid recursion exclude /mnt. cp -avx / /mnt If i use the above i believe it would run recursively, and end up in mess. So how to do it ?! Basically this / is sda1, and /mnt is sda2 and sda1 is where only OS is available & currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to find & copy words from Web.

I need to write a perl script to search for a specific set of numbers that occur after a series of words but before another. Specifically, I need to locate the phrase today at the summit, then immediately prior to the words tonnes/day copy the number that will be between 100 and 9,999, for example,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Using dd to copy a partition.

Here's a conundrum. I use a ThinkPad (T30) which has a slot on the side for the hard drive. It is very easy to swap this with another hard drive which I keep as a backup. Now when I copy the Linux partition from my (in use) hard drive to the backup one (in my UltraBay slot) it takes only 30... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newyorkpaulie
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to overwrite & before that keep copy a file on many servers

I have ssh password less auth enable & script does the job well as well #/bin/bash for i in `cat ip` do scp /etc/resolv.conf root@$ip done But I need to take backup of the file i will overwrite .. is there any simple way ? Kindly respond (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)					      System Manager's Manual					      dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)

NAME
dtc_kill_vps_disk - destroy LVM disks for freeing space SYNOPSIS
dtc_kill_vps_disk VPS_NUMBER [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_kill_vps_disk This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to delete a partitions that was used by a VPS. It will delete the normal partition that was used as a root disk, and the swap partition. dtc_kill_vps_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 lvm This will delete the 2 LVM partitions that were used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being the root partition, and the second one being the swap partition. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_kill_vps_disk See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_setup_vps_disk(8) dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)