Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Export SQL results to .TXT file for emailing Post 302447830 by alpinescott on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 12:28:49 PM
Old 08-24-2010
Export SQL results to .TXT file for emailing

Hi everyone,
I am new to unix and bash and in need of some help.
I am writing a script that will execute a SQL query. The script runs and the SQl query runs, but I cannot figure out how to save the results as a file that can be emailed to a user. Here is my scripts thus far:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
SID=$1
DIR=/u01/test/testcomn/admin/scripts/requestedqueries/
ORACLE_SID=$SID; export ORACLE_SID
ORACLE_HOME directories to be searched by the .sql statement
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH; export PATH
cd $DIR

sqlplus user/PWD @export_icat.sql
echo 'Today's Results'  | mail -s "Results" user@domain.com

Thanks!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, thank you!

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-24-2010 at 01:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting sql select query result to txt file

Hi , I just found you while surfing for the string 'Redirecting sql select query output from within a shell script to txt file/excel file' Could you find time sending me the code for the above question? It'll be great help for me. I have a perl file that calls the sql file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolphin123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting sql select query result to txt file

Hi Yogesh, Lucky that i caught you online. Yeah i read about DBI and the WriteExcel module. But the server is not supporting these modules. It said..."Cannot locate DBI"..."Cannot locate Spreadsheet::WriteExcel" I tried creating a simple text file to get the query output, but the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolphin123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a unix file to txt file?

Is there any way by which u can export a file in unix box to a notepad or txt file?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nohup
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

store SQL statements and results in a file

Hello Guys... I want a small help from you guys. Actually in Oracle, we are having a utlity called spool through which can store whatever SQL statements executed and other queries and the output of those queries in a file So, similarly in Unix, if I start a session executing a number of Unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backing Up and Emailing Home Directory and SQL Databases

Hello, I run a web hosting company, and I'm wondering how I can use cPanel's Cron Jobs so that a copy of my entire home directory and a copy all of my MySQL databases can be compressed and emailed to me. I know nothing about Linux, Unix, or whatever that thing with the penguin is called. :) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: millipedeman
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export data from DB2 table to .txt file(space delimited)

Hi I need help on this. Its very urgent for me.. please try to help me out.. I have data in tables in DB2 database. I would like to export the data from DB2 tables into a text file, which has to be space delimited. so that I can carry out awk, grep operations on that file. I tried to export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing sql results to file using ksh -nevermind

I'm having problems with writing my sql results to a file: sqlplus -S username/password@DB <<!! set echo off set verify off set showmode off set feedback off set timing off set linesize 250 set wrap off set pagesize 0 set newpage none set tab off set trimspool on set colsep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the sql query output into txt file?

Hi I want ot save SQL query result in one txt file. for that i have written one code line sqlplus -s $dbstring @/usr/local/bin/sched/nightly_Cronjob/exec_123.sql >> /usr/local/bin/sched/nightly_Cronjob/result.txt but it is not working . database : Oracle so please advice me how can i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting to export the results to an excel file

Hi, I am facing issues while exporting the results retrieved from the Database to an excel file. I have 5 count query in order to count the records in 5 different tables. I had connected to the DB and retrieved the column count and printed in the screen. But wat I need to do is, I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learner 20
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emailing results of a pl sql procedure from UNIX shell script

Hello All, I am writing the below unix script to email the result of a small pl sql procedure: #!/bin/bash ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/orcts/product/9.2.0; export ORACLE_HOME SQLPLUS=$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus sqlplus -s user/pass@Db_instance<<EOF set echo off set feedback off set pages 0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bunty bedi
9 Replies
SELECTALL_XML(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 SELECTALL_XML(1p)

NAME
stag-selectall_xml - Query all elements from database with an XML output SYNOPSIS
stag-selectall_xml [-d <dbi>] [-f file of sql] [-nesting|n <nesting>] SQL DESCRIPTION
This script will query a database using either SQL provided by the script user, or using an SQL templates; the query results will be turned into XML using the DBIx::DBStag module. The nesting of the XML can be controlled by the DBStag SQL extension "USE NESTING..." EXAMPLES stag-selectall_xml -d "dbi:Pg:dbname=mydb;host=localhost" "SELECT * FROM a NATURAL JOIN b" TEMPLATES A parameterized SQL template (canned query) can be used instead of specifying the full SQL For example: stag-selectall_xml -d genedb /genedb-gene gene_symbol=Adh Or: stag-selectall_xml -d genedb /genedb-gene Adh Or: stag-selectall_xml -d genedb /genedb-gene gene_symbol@=Adh,dpp,bam,indy A template is indicated by the syntactic shorthand of using a slash to precede the template name; in this case the template is called genedb-gene. the -t option can also be used. All the remaining arguments are passed in as SQL template parameters. They can be passed in as either name=value pairs, or as a simple list of arguments which get passed into the template in order To use templates, you should have the environment variable DBSTAG_TEMPLATE_DIRS set. See DBIx::DBStag for details. LISTING AVAILABLE TEMPLATES FOR A DB stag-selectall_xml -d mydb -h LISTING VARIABLES FOR A TEMPLATE stag-selectall_xml /genedb-gene -h ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DBSTAG_DBIMAP_FILE A file containing configuration details for local databases DBSTAG_TEMPLATE_DIRS list of directories (separated by :s) to be searched when templates are requested COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS
-h|help shows this page if no other arguments are given if a template is specified, gives template details if a db is specified, lists templates for that db use in conjunction with -v for full descriptions -d|dbname DBNAME this is either a full DBI locator string (eg dbi:Pg:dbname=mydb;host=localhost) or it can also be a shortened "nickname", which is then looked up in the file pointed at by the environment variable DBSTAG_DBIMAP_FILE -u|user USER database user identity -p|password PASS database password -f|file SQLFILE this is a path to a file containing SQL that will be executed, as an alternative to writing the SQL on the command line -n|nesting NESTING-EXPRESSIONS a bracketed expression indicating how to the resulting objects/XML should be nested. See DBIx::DBStag for details. -t|template TEMPLATE-NAME the name of a template; see above -wh|where WHERE-CLAUSE used to override the WHERE clause of the query; useful for combining with templates You can append to an existing where clause by using the prefix + -s|select SELECT-COLS used to override the SELECT clause of the query; useful for combining with templates -rows sometimes it is preferable to return the results as a table rather than xml or a similar nested structure. specifying -rows will fetch a table, one line per row, and columns separated by tabs -pre SQL a piece of SQL is that is executed immediately before the main query; e.g.: -pre "SET search_path=myschema,public" -o|out FILE a file to output the results to -w|writer WRITER writer class; can be any perl class, or one of these xml [default] sxpr lisp S-Expressions itext indented text -color shows results in color (sxpr and itext only) -show will show the parse of the SQL statement perl v5.12.4 2011-10-14 SELECTALL_XML(1p)