Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Export variable, as a background process Post 302447784 by methyl on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 10:01:34 AM
Old 08-24-2010
Or we can use the basic shell "jobs" command. Obviously we would need to build a counter into the loop to allow us to stop after a given amount of time.

Code:
while [ "`jobs`" ]
do
        echo "still running"
        sleep 10
done

Tip. The "ps -ef" command sequence posted assumes unique matches for the "grep". You are very likely to get false matches.
Confining the search to one pid with "ps -fp<pid>" would be safer and quicker.
Actually for anything mission critical I would never rely on "ps -ef" because it occasionally misses processes (or does not reply at all) when the kernel is busy.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hi, In shell script when I use script1 >> filelog the echo statments of script1 gets printed in the filelog but when I try to run script in background i.e, script1 & >> filelog nothing gets printed in the filelog. Anybody knows whats going on here. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

4. Solaris

how to capture oracle export log while running as background process

I ran the Oracle 9i export command from a terminal to export out a big table using "exp andrew/password file=andrew.dmp log=andrew.log" From the terminal I can see that the export is running as there is some output from the oracle export job. The export job is not complete yet. When i go check... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hippo2020
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a child process running in background to the parent

Hi All, I have a script which calls a child script with a parameter to be run in the background . childscript.ksh $a & Can any one suggest me how do i export a variable from the child script to parent script? Note that the child script is in background If the child script is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send a new value to a variable in a running background process

Hi guys, I have a issue with a background process, I need to update the value of a variable in that process which is running at this time and it will be running for at least 2 days. Any idea? I will apreciate your help. regards. Razziel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razziel
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable to another script running in background

i have a script inside which i have generated a background job which will run another script. How do i export the variables from parent script to the child script which wil run in the background . a.sh:- export tmpdir="/usr/tmp" nohup b.sh& b.sh:- echo $tmpdir But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
wait(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
[pid] DESCRIPTION
If no argument is specified, waits until all processes (started with of the current shell have completed, and reports on abnormal termina- tions. If a numeric argument pid is given and is the process ID of a background process, waits until that process has completed. Other- wise, if pid is not a background process, exits without waiting for any processes to complete. Because the system call must be executed in the parent process, the shell itself executes without creating a new process (see wait(2)). Command-Line Arguments supports the following command line arguments: The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, whose termination is to wait for. WARNINGS
Some processes in a 2-or-more-stage pipeline may not be children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), wait(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wait(1)