Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep after a certain word
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep after a certain word Post 302447778 by ab52 on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 09:44:14 AM
Old 08-24-2010
thats great, but what if i want to just grab eveything after the :

i have another command

Code:
system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType | grep "System Version"

that returns this

Code:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

i want to get just the bit after OS X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep for a word and display only the word

Hi, When we "grep" for a word in a file, it returns the lines containing the word that we searched for. Is there a way to display only the words and not the entire line containing them. Thanks Ananth (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthmm
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep the word and display only the second word from it

hi, consider the below line in a text file, 'Y',getdate(),'N','V',NULL ..... 'N',getdate(),'Y','D',NULL ..... 'Y','N','Y',getdate(),'Y','D',NULL .... as u see above, i want only the second word after the getdate() word... getdate() will not come 2nd word alwys it may be any position but i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsam
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep out specific word and only that word

ok, so this is proving to be kind of difficult even though it should not be. say for instance I want to grep out ONLY the word fkafal from the below output, how do I do it? echo ajfjf fjfjf iafjga fkafal foeref afoafahfia | grep -w "fkafal" If i run the above command, i get back all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for a particular word and get only the word

HI, Let us a consider i have a file as following. abcde (flag5 / 234 ) Mod 45 efgh afghd (flag3/ 343) MOD 34 ghdd tryd (t_flag6/ 567 ) MOD 43 uifudiu Is there a way where I need only the flag and the calculation done on it. The output should be : (flag5 / 234 ) Mod 45 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a word and next column to that word?

Hi, I have input file as below. Can you help me? inac_4y;0;2;Balance;200;1;1; 0;2;Balance;100;1; 0;inac_nq;0;1;Balance;100;1 desired output Balance;200 Balance;100 Balance;100 -Suresh Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep part of word or Another word from a string

Hi all, FileOne family balance >>>>> 0 0 0 0 java.io.FileNotFoundException: Settings.xml (No such file or directory) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) .. .... ..... ..... java.lang.NullPointerException ... ..... ...... Stacktrace: at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How ti Grep for a word and print the next word

Hi can we grep for a word and print the next word of the greped word? ex:- create or replace function function_name create function function_name we should search for word "function" and output next word "function_name" from both lines. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two word and one word with if

so far I have the following , it work, if grep -w "Hi"\|"Hello" /home/my.log 2>&1 > /dev/null then EMAIL_ADDR="aaa@gmail.com" echo "Please view the error messages on attached file " | mutt -a ~/error_report.txt -s "hi `date +"%d-%m-%Y"`" "$EMAIL_ADDR" fi But :(I want to add if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hscript
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a word which just comes next to after grep of a specific word

Hi, Below is an example : ST1 PREF: int1 AVAIL: int2 ST2 PREF :int1 AVAIL: int2 I need int1 to come in preferred variable while programming and int2 in available variable Please help me doing so Best regards, Vishal (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for a word or word with underscore

I have a file "test" with following contents: cat test abc abcd_efg abc_abc I want to only grep for abc or abc_ without getting other results, how do I achieve this? If I use grep -w abc test option I get only abc and not abc_. If I use egrep "abc|abc_" test its still printing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
3 Replies
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep - A GNU grep-based mbox folder reader SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser; my $filename = 'mail/saved-mail'; my $filehandle = new FileHandle($filename); my $folder_reader = new Mail::Mbox::MessageParser( { 'file_name' => $filename, 'file_handle' => $filehandle, 'enable_grep' => 1, } ); die $folder_reader unless ref $folder_reader; # Any newlines or such before the start of the first email my $prologue = $folder_reader->prologue; print $prologue; # This is the main loop. It's executed once for each email while(!$folder_reader->end_of_file()); { my $email = $folder_reader->read_next_email(); print $email; } DESCRIPTION
This module implements a GNU grep-based mbox folder reader. It can only be used when GNU grep is installed on the system. Users must not instantiate this class directly--use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser instead. The base MessageParser module will automatically manage the use of grep and non-grep implementations. METHODS AND FUNCTIONS The following methods and functions are specific to the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep package. For additional inherited ones, see the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser documentation. $ref = new( { 'file_name' => <mailbox file name>, 'file_handle' => <mailbox file handle> }); <file_name> - The full filename of the mailbox <file_handle> - An opened file handle for the mailbox The constructor for the class takes two parameters. The file_name parameter is the filename of the mailbox. The file_handle argument is the opened file handle to the mailbox. Returns a reference to a Mail::Mbox::MessageParser object, or a string describing the error. BUGS
No known bugs. Contact david@coppit.org for bug reports and suggestions. AUTHOR
David Coppit <david@coppit.org>. LICENSE
This software is distributed under the terms of the GPL. See the file "LICENSE" for more information. HISTORY
This code was originally part of the grepmail distribution. See http://grepmail.sf.net/ for previous versions of grepmail which included early versions of this code. SEE ALSO
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser perl v5.10.1 2009-08-09 Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)