Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing value from command output and monitoring for changes Post 302447624 by agama on Monday 23rd of August 2010 09:43:59 PM
Old 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty77
..only thing that's not perfect now is that it (understandably) will always write a row to the log when you first fire it up. Any way to avoid this?
Cool -- glad you found something that works for you. Yes, change the if a bit to skip if last_value is 'x' or whatever you initialised it to. Something like:

Code:
 if [[ $last_value != "x"  &&   $last_value != $new_value ]]
   then
       echo "$(date) $new_value" >>$log_file
   fi
last_value=$new_value

You will also always have to capture the current value in last_value, so move that line following the fi. There are other ways, but I think this is pretty straight forward.

Cheers!

Last edited by agama; 08-24-2010 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: corrected 2nd typo in if statement
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing result of sql command

Hi guys, Is there a way a script can run an SQL statement and dump the results into a variable which can then be used later in the script? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing a value from an output file

I am executing a stored proc and sending the results in a log file. I then want to grab one result from the output parameters (bolded below, 2) so that I can store it in a variable which will then be called in another script. There are more details that get printed in the beginning of the log file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Missing When Grabbing Files from SFTP Server using SCP Command

Hi, I have this problem where sometimes my files would go missing when I schedule my crontab to run the SCP command to get file from the SFTP server. My crontab will run the scripts at an interval of 3 minutes (between the two scripts) The following is the setting in my crontab. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gingervitus
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Monitoring the output of 'top' command on hourly basis.

I need to capture the following data on an hourly basis through cronjob scheduling:- 1. load averages 2. Total no. of processes. 3. CPU state 4. Memory 5. Top 3 process details. All the above information is available through the command 'top'. But here we need to automate the same and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subharai
4 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

AIX monitoring tools for graphical output

Hi , I am new for Aix i am using IBM AIX server in our org. I am using tomcat and JDK 1.6 for our own ERP software the data base was stored in another server (windows ) i want to monitor my AIX server with graphical output from another system it is possible please help me, any other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_vnr`
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing IP and zonename from multiline 'ifconfig' output

Hi There, I have a Solaris server that has a bunch of zones configured and I am trying to write a script that will take all interfaces other than the loopback ones (e.g. lo0:3 etc) and present them so that I can easily determine the zone that owns the IP So in the case of the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing value from file and run command in ``

Hi ALL, How can I make a script take data from a file and execute the commands within `` in the file n put that that in a variable? for i in `cat file` do file=`grep -i key file` cp ${file} test done file /tmp/`date +y`log /tmp/unix`date +y`log (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies
Arch::Log(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Arch::Log(3pm)

NAME
Arch::Log - class representing Arch patch-log SYNOPSIS
use Arch::Log; my $log = Arch::Log->new($rfc2822_message_string); printf "Patch log date: %s ", $log->header('standard_date'); print $log->dump; my $first_new_file = $log->get_headers->{new_files}->[0]; DESCRIPTION
This class represents the patch-log concept in Arch and provides some useful methods. METHODS
The following class methods are available: get_message, get_headers, header, get_changes, split_version, get_version, get_revision, get_revision_kind, get_revision_desc, dump. get_message Return the original message with that the object was constructed. get_headers Return the hashref of all headers including body, see also "header" method. header name header name [new_value] Get or set the named header. The special name 'body' represents the message body (the text following the headers). body [new_value] existing_header_name [new_value] This is just a shortcut for "header"('method'). However unlike "header"('method'), method fails instead of returning undef if the log does not have the given header name. get_changes Return a list of changes in the corresponding changeset. ATTENTION! Patch logs do not distinguish metadata (ie permission) changes from ordinary content changes. Permission changes will be represented with a change type of 'M'. This is different from Arch::Changeset::get_changes and Arch::Tree::get_changes. split_version Return a list of 2 strings: full version and patch-level. get_version Return the full version name, not unlike split_version. get_revision Return the full revision name. This is currently a concatination of headers Archive and Revision with '/' separator. get_revision_kind Return one of the strings 'tag', 'import' or 'cset' depending on the revision kind this log represents. get_revision_desc Return revision description hashref with the keys: name, version, summary, creator, email, date, kind. dump Returns the object dump using Data::Dumper. BUGS
Awaiting for your reports. AUTHORS
Mikhael Goikhman (migo@homemail.com--Perl-GPL/arch-perl--devel). SEE ALSO
For more information, see tla, Arch::Session, Arch::Library, Arch::Changes. perl v5.10.1 2005-11-14 Arch::Log(3pm)