Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Differential or Incremental backups in Unix Post 302447457 by citaylor on Monday 23rd of August 2010 08:46:33 AM
Old 08-23-2010
Most of these platforms have "dump" which provides basic backup functionality. See the individual manual pages for information and functionality.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX backups

hi, how do we go for the BACK UPS on the UNIX box,using DLT tapes.i need to back up the stuff on the DLT tape. pls HELP:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saood
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automating UNIX backups?

Hi all, I'm quite limited in UNIX unfortunately for me, and need to find a solution to something thats giving me headaches every morning. We need to make daily backups of a server we have in the office every morning, as well as then FTPing the created backup files over to a specific FTP address... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: de049
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best unix incremental backup utility?

Hello everyone. Could you please advise of what would be the best Unix (Debian 4) program for regular (daily or weekly) incremental backups? I'm not sure whether the backups will be stored on a "backup" drive on the same system or on an external "backup" system, but we would like to have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nottrobin
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incremental by 1

let says, i have this number as 000002080, i want to add 1 to make it 000002081, and then i want to add 1 to 000002082, add 1 to 000002083, 84. i=000002080 TOT=$(echo "scale=9; $i + 1" | bc) echo $TOT it shows 2081, i want to retain 000002081, 000002082, 000002082, 000002084. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

Differential Equations

I`m having a cluster with Rocks 5.2 distribution and I want to solve differential equations and I`m interested to know if are some programs already developed to do this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rapo
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Incremental backups with ZFS

Good morning, I am debugging an incremental backup system. It's actually f... up the hard link stuff and does not just do incrementals but full backups. What it should do is: mv /storage/backups/Keto_Samba/backup.5 /storage/backups/Keto_Samba/backup.tmp mv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differential substring removal using coordinates

Hello all, this might be better suited for a bioinformatics forum, but I thought I'd try my luck here as well. I have several tabular text files of DNA sequence reads that appear as such: File_1.txt >H01BA45XW GATTACAGATTCGACATCCAACTGAGGCATT >H02BG78WR CCTTACAGACTGGGCATGAATATTGCATACC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectorborne5
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Restoring differential backup files

I'm using a script (automysqlbackup) to dump mysql db's to .sql file followed by taking one full backup of the .sql file and the differential backups of the newer sql file every day using the tool diff. Now the backup destination folder contains files like, I would like to how do i restore... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csengineer
3 Replies
BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)

NAME
       backup_deldump - Deletes a dump level from the Backup Database

SYNOPSIS
       backup deldump -dump <dump level name> [-localauth]
	   [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup deld -d <dump level name> [-l]
	   [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup deldump command deletes the indicated dump level and all of its child dump levels from the dump hierarchy in the Backup
       Database. Use the backup listdumps command to display the dump hierarchy.

OPTIONS
       -dump <dump level name>
	   Specifies the complete pathname of the dump level to delete.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

EXAMPLES
       The following command deletes the dump level "/sunday1/monday1" from the dump hierarchy, along with any of its child dump levels.

% backup deldump /sunday1/monday1

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), backup_adddump(8), backup_listdumps(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)