Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Meaning and typical use of -3 signal in kill Post 302446553 by venkatesht on Thursday 19th of August 2010 04:59:59 AM
Old 08-19-2010
Meaning and typical use of -3 signal in kill

Hi,

What is the use of the signal -3 in kill command in unix?

I read the meaning and typical use of this signal in one of the Oreilly books as below.

Code:
Quit -- stop running (and dump core). Sent when you type CTRL-\.

what does the CTRL-\ command do? Is it the combination of CTRL and hyphen and backslash?

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill signal

Hello e'bdy, We have WebSphere MQ running on AIX 5.1 Every weekend MQ receives a kill -30 signal from some process or user and offloads a big error file. There is no way in MQ through which that process can be tracked. Is there something which i can do on UNIX level to trap the process? Best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhaavinash
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill Signal

Hello, I'm doing a project of OS simulation (Process Scheduling, to be very specific). Can anyone, please, explain what exactly happens in the background when we see "Sending all processes the KILL signal...........". How is it sent to each process? Is it that something like a boolean is stored... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Typical way to disable a dameon

I want to disable some services starting automatically while system booting, for instance if i want to disable vold what i have to do ? i think some services related to a script init level shell directory,and i think as well that since solaris 10 they added a command to enable and disable services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

typical mail script

hi i have a requirement to write a mail script which needs to be automated.There are 7 CSV files generated for 7 clients in a single day.Each file will contain one header and the name of the file follows a nomenclature like ABC_20080402_ClientID.csv.ClientID is lets say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Trap kill -9 signal

I just want to trap kill -9 signal issued by any of user from any terminal and just capture that user terminal who had raised this kill -9 command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puneet.goel
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A typical array script

Hi All, I need to store the output of "find ." to an array one by one. Output of find . in my case will look like :- . ./one ./one/a ./one/b ./one/c ./two So my first array element should be "/one" and second one "/one/a" (need to remove "." from the output as well). Then I need to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
11 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Calculating total space in GB for all files with typical pattern

Hi Experts, In a particular dir, I have many files *AJAY*. How can I get total size of all such files. I tried du -hs *AJAY* but it gave me individual size of all files. All I require is summation of all. Thanks, Ajay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typical problem in UNIX

Input file I have a file with four fields. f1,f2,f3,f4 A,1,10,00,S B,2,20,00,00,D C,3,100,00,00,G I want Output like f1|f2|f3|f4 A|1|10,00|S B|2|20,00,00|D C|3|100,00,00|G please help on this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharat1211
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compile a software for a non-typical platform?

I am quite new to compiling source codes in linux and have been running into a lot of problems in trying to do so since the platform configuration is different from most. For starters, I know that you need to enter the following commands in order to install any software manually in linux:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ice_Drake1
2 Replies
SIGACTION(2)							System Calls Manual						      SIGACTION(2)

NAME
sigaction, signal - manage signal state and handlers SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int sigaction(int sig, const struct sigaction *act, struct sigaction *oact) void (*signal(int sig, void (*handler)(int)))(int); DESCRIPTION
Sigaction() is used to examine, set, or modify the attributes of a signal. The argument sig is the signal in question. The act argument points to a structure containing the new attributes of the signal, the structure pointed to by oact will receive the old attributes that were in effect before the call. The act and oact arguments may be NULL to indicate that either no new attributes are to be set, or that the old attributes are not of interest. The structure containing the signal attributes is defined in <signal.h> and looks like this: struct sigaction { void (*sa_handler)(int sig); sigset_t sa_mask; int sa_flags; }; The sa_handler field contains the address of a signal handler, a function that is called when the process is signalled, or one of these special constants: SIG_DFL Default signal handling is to be performed. This usually means that the process is killed, but some signals may be ignored by default. SIG_IGN Ignore the signal. The sa_mask field indicates a set of signals that must be blocked when the signal is being handled. Whether the signal sig itself is blocked when being handled is not controlled by this mask. The mask is of a "signal set" type that is to be manipulated by the sigset(3) functions. How the signal is handled precisely is specified by bits in sa_flags. If none of the flags is set then the handler is called when the sig- nal arrives. The signal is blocked during the call to the handler, and unblocked when the handler returns. A system call that is inter- rupted returns -1 with errno set to EINTR. The following bit flags can be set to modify this behaviour: SA_RESETHAND Reset the signal handler to SIG_DFL when the signal is caught. SA_NODEFER Do not block the signal on entry to the handler. SA_COMPAT Handle the signal in a way that is compatible with the the old signal() call. The old signal() signal system call sets a signal handler for a given signal and returns the old signal handler. No signals are blocked, the flags are SA_RESETHAND | SA_NODEFER | SA_COMPAT. New code should not use signal(). Note that signal() and all of the SA_* flags are Minix extensions. Signal handlers are reset to SIG_DFL on an execve(2). Signals that are ignored stay ignored. Signals Minix knows about the following signals: signal num notes description SIGHUP 1 k Hangup SIGINT 2 k Interrupt (usually DEL or CTRL-C) SIGQUIT 3 kc Quit (usually CTRL-) SIGILL 4 kc Illegal instruction SIGTRAP 5 xkc Trace trap SIGABRT 6 kc Abort program SIGFPE 8 k Floating point exception SIGKILL 9 k Kill SIGUSR1 10 k User defined signal #1 SIGSEGV 11 kc Segmentation fault SIGUSR2 12 k User defined signal #2 SIGPIPE 13 k Write to a pipe with no reader SIGALRM 14 k Alarm clock SIGTERM 15 k Terminate (default for kill(1)) SIGCHLD 17 pvi Child process terminated SIGCONT 18 p Continue if stopped SIGSTOP 19 ps Stop signal SIGTSTP 20 ps Interactive stop signal SIGTTIN 21 ps Background read SIGTTOU 22 ps Background write SIGWINCH 23 xvi Window size change The letters in the notes column indicate: k The process is killed if the signal is not caught. c The signal causes a core dump. i The signal is ignored if not caught. v Only Minix-vmd implements this signal. x Minix extension, not defined by POSIX. p These signals are not implemented, but POSIX requires that they are defined. s The process should be stopped, but is killed instead. The SIGKILL signal cannot be caught or ignored. The SIGILL and SIGTRAP signals cannot be automatically reset. The system silently enforces these restrictions. This may or may not be reflected by the attributes of these signals and the signal masks. Types POSIX prescribes that <sys/types.h> has the following definition: typedef int (*sighandler_t)(int) With this type the following declarations can be made: sighandler_t sa_handler; sighandler_t signal(int sig, sighandler_t handler); This may help you to understand the earlier declarations better. The sighandler_t type is also very useful in old style C code that is compiled by a compiler for standard C. SEE ALSO
kill(1), kill(2), pause(2), sigprocmask(2), sigsuspend(2), sigpending(2), sigset(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Sigaction() returns 0 on success or -1 on error. Signal() returns the old handler on success or SIG_ERR on error. The error code may be: EINVAL Bad signal number. EFAULT Bad act or oact addresses. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) SIGACTION(2)